Another runner :)

Well, I was finally persuaded to try starting my CS. It must have stood outdoors for at least 20-30 years albeit under some sort of
sheet for some of the time.
I fitted an injection pump of a donor engine after rebuilding it (it was totally seized), adapted the filter to take a Massey Ferguson fuel filter, changed the oil (yuck!!!!) and replaced the oil pump which for some reason had no lower non-return valve.
I bled the fuel system, and set about timing it up. I had spent some time finding the timing mark on the flywheel, but had totally failed to find the mark on the crankcase as per the manual. I had two friends scratching their heads about this too. I eventually found it cast into the fuel filter bowl when I bolted it into place.
A friend was with me, and he would not let me find a reason to chicken out.
Full of fear I cranked it over and dropped the decompressor. Having been given lessons in starting a CS by Paul (Internal Fire) I threw my weight behind the crank handle as she came up to compression. WOW, what a bang!!!!!!. Why did they put the exhaust port so close to your ear? And why didn't I fit a silencer!!!!!!
Anyways...she ran first time over TDC, picked up revs and settled down to a very steady running speed.
Not wishing to push my luck I stopped her with the stop lever, let her pick up again just to be sure I wasn't dreaming and then shut her down to await a cooling system, air cleaner and silencer.
I know that to you old hands this will be old hat, but to a newby I can assure you it is a very very scary experience...but then again, the joy of success was well worth it :)
Soooooo....onto the next project :)
Alan
--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention

No old hat about it, the first start of a newly revived engine is always an occasion!
--

Nick H