Another runner :)

Well, I was finally persuaded to try starting my CS. It must have stood outdoors for at least 20-30 years albeit under some sort of sheet for some of the time.

I fitted an injection pump of a donor engine after rebuilding it (it was totally seized), adapted the filter to take a Massey Ferguson fuel filter, changed the oil (yuck!!!!) and replaced the oil pump which for some reason had no lower non-return valve.

I bled the fuel system, and set about timing it up. I had spent some time finding the timing mark on the flywheel, but had totally failed to find the mark on the crankcase as per the manual. I had two friends scratching their heads about this too. I eventually found it cast into the fuel filter bowl when I bolted it into place.

A friend was with me, and he would not let me find a reason to chicken out.

Full of fear I cranked it over and dropped the decompressor. Having been given lessons in starting a CS by Paul (Internal Fire) I threw my weight behind the crank handle as she came up to compression. WOW, what a bang!!!!!!. Why did they put the exhaust port so close to your ear? And why didn't I fit a silencer!!!!!!

Anyways...she ran first time over TDC, picked up revs and settled down to a very steady running speed.

Not wishing to push my luck I stopped her with the stop lever, let her pick up again just to be sure I wasn't dreaming and then shut her down to await a cooling system, air cleaner and silencer.

I know that to you old hands this will be old hat, but to a newby I can assure you it is a very very scary experience...but then again, the joy of success was well worth it :)

Soooooo....onto the next project :)

Alan

Reply to
Algernon

"Algernon" wrote (snip):-

No old hat about it, the first start of a newly revived engine is always an occasion!

Reply to
Nick H