Back in the jug :-(

Yes, once more I find myself at work sitting in front of a PC with absolutely no enthusiasm for what I should be doing, so I shall inflict myself on you lot.

During a very pleasant and much needed week out of the office I cleared up the workshop to see if I could find a little more space, tinkering to no real purpose with engines etc as they were unearthed, did a few jobs around the house and still somehow found time to get away for a few days.

Down in The Forest of Dean we dropped in on Forest Classics to p.ex some SEL and Multum workshop models which I seem to have accumulated for one of their Newcomen engine kits:-

whisper it - hot fog!

Also visited Westons cider farm in Much Markle, can't say I'd recommend the tour but the restaurant was nice. Amongst other things, there is an engine on display described as an approx 1930/40's Alvis but which appears to be a Douglas of the teens or twenties. It is the first I have seen with a cowling to make better use of the limited amount of air stirred up by the crude flywheel fan and also sports yet another type of lubrication system. I wonder if this could have started life driving a WWI trench pump which would have required better cooling than for the low duty cycle operation of the Marconi's W-T Co. units? Pics at end of 'Infernal Combustion' album:-

see also:-
Marconi version.

Finished up with a trip to the Morgan factory in Malvern Link, now that's a tour I can recommend!

Reply to
Nick H

snip

for Marconi version. Snip

Hi Nick, as my wifes family farm is nearby I have been in Westons many times in the last 45 years. I haven't been on an official tour but what I have seen was fascinating. Did they show you how they mixed the apple varieties in the storage yard with gullys running between the piles of apples. Water from the stream was run down the gully nearest to the required apples & the cider maker told the workers how many shovels of each variety to put in the stream. These were diverted into the power scratter before being pressed. The fermentation casks are 2 floors high & were wooden when I last visited. One time I visited the manager was showing me a short route out & we went through the farm yard alongside. He told me the farmer loading the muck spreader was Mr Weston who only attended the monthly financial meetings as he was more interested in being a farmer.

Reply to
Dave Croft

"Dave Croft" wrote >

Perhaps I'm doing it a disservice, probably better at harvest/pressing time and the fermentation vats were impressive - all proper wooden coopered jobs and named rather than numbered.

Reply to
Nick H