Bearing Scrapers

One of my Xmas pressies from me to me was a set of three brand new Millers Falls (USA) bearing scrapers.

The guy selling them has them on ebay:

but he also sells them direct at $US18.00 plus postage. I ordered mine before Xmas and they arrived today by airmail. Surface post is cheaper, I think my postage was about $US 23.00 or so by air.

Nice quality and definitely brand new.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Still got mine which I bought as an apprentice in 1964 !!! I think I have forgotten how to use it though.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Been a long time here as well, but you never forget the techniques once learnt.

These are all curved and double-sided blades with the 'old-fashioned' wooden handles, my other scrapers are all M&W with knurled tubular metal handles which are not so comfortable to use.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

I've still got some - we were required - OK, forced! - to make a set from old files, re-harden and grind out on a wet wheel. Took hours and the apprentice that won the highest commendation had bought his set from the foreman tool maker.

Swine!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

- who wishes you and yours all the very best for the New Year.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Bought ? BOUGHT ?? Good God man we had to MAKE ours as apprentices.

___

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

Reply to
John Stevenson

I broke :-( mine which I'd had for 30+ years about 18 months ago, the local toolplace got me a new Eclipse, identical to my old one, within a few days, no problem. I was a bit horrified at the price (ISTR nearly 15 quid for one), those would certainly be a better deal if it weren't for the postage.

Cheers Tim Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech

I think we did that at Grammar school for the O levels, there were all sorts of projects that you could do, and we had a most enthusiastic craftwork teacher called JJ Jefferies (no relation to the late John Jefferies of the same area, Crawley, as far as I know)

He was one hell of a good teacher, knew his stuff and didn't take any messing about from the boys :-(( Spent a whole year on the Elliott shaper in classes doing a sectioned Austin 7 engine, really enjoyed that and it got me off a lot of other things which weren't as interesting...

Had him at Tech College after leaving school but lost contact.

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter Forbes Prepair Ltd Luton, UK email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk home: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Reply to
Prepair Ltd

Old files a bit of forge work and careful use of an offhand grinder makes a good scraper. Also taught that as an apprentice, as a machine tool fitter that and the proper use of a file were the first things taught. Our instructor's philosophy was if you can't use the hand tools how do you expect to understand and use the machinery. By the way my wind mill blades are coming together nicely :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman