Completely OT - interesting though

I thought NG members would be interested.

The following link that is the result of a joint initiative by three UK universities.

The surname profiler shows the distribution of your surname and compares it for both 1881 and 1991 throughout the UK.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Thanks for the links, and also the various entertaining messages. I normally have nothing to say but read your posts with interest!

PS - I look at this group because we have a Fowler PD as a family pet, which was given to us earlier on this year on condition that we get it running.

Reply to
Will

Nice engine- only one batch of them made by Fowler, and very smooth running :-) Shouldn't take much to make it live again if all the parts are present and correct!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

The PD is a nice engine, I once bought one to stop it going for scrap, as it was a complete wreck. (Badly frosted block, somebody ahd also chisseled out one of the valve seats, smashed carb, siezed solid, smashed cylinder head, etc etc etc. (Far beyond the realms of restoration).

However I stripped it down and managed to move almost every part on to a new home. (somebody even bought the tin cover which sits inside the sump).

I seem to remember that Phillip bought a couple of bits including the rather heavy flywheel of me.

I also have a 1PA which I restored a few years ago, but unfortunately spent last night stripping as the main bearings packed up, and I have finally got round to replacing them.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Oh yes, those flywheels sure are heavy-did my poor eyes ever water trying to set it up on the lathe for skimming........ Well worth the effort though, the PA runs so s-m-o-o-t-h-l-y now and the dynamo gives a very steady output :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

I bet that was fun to set up in the lathe. But to be fair it did need a good skim, as it was very badly pitted on the rim and wouldnt have looked very appealing if just left as it was. Still not a job I would have liked having to do.

Incidetally I was recently given a 1PA crankshaft at a rally, if anybody can make use of it please get in touch.