1260 watt distribution board

I bought this off Mark Howard last August, but as I rarely have a reason to go to Essex and it wasn't First Project on my list, it rather got pushed to the back of my mind - such as it is. However, I suddenly had to attend a client call in Norfolk and Suffolk on Tuesday, so arranged to collect it at short notice - thanks Mark.

It is absolutely complete with all its fuses & in even better condition than I expected. It fills me with new enthusiasm to put together the parts of the ex WD Norman T300 generator I bought from Roland about a year ago. The board has Air Ministry markings and the meters have "1944" stamped on them.

You can see pictures of it at the usual place -

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

It's real rubbish that, Kim. I'll take it off your hands ;-).

Nice toy!

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Honestly Arthur You must like rubbish or is it an insane desire to fill all your sheds til you're as overfull as the rest of us :-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

I plead an insane desire, m'Lud. But soft, what is this hair growing on my palms?

All aboard the crazy train........

Barking Art "owoooooooooooohhhhh"

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

So THAT'S why you wear a cap! ;-)

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Actually, O haired and hairless ones, it came with an original Norman T300 manual with a photo of the very board in the back!

It seems it is intended to go with the genny in the "round frame" if you know the one I mean - obviously intended to be air dropped in a container. I've put three other pics up (might have scrounged them from Nick H ;o)) ) of the complete article.

While you're there, if you look at the sides of the distribution board's case, you will see it is equipped with clips so as to attach webbing strips that it may the more readily be lugged from place to place. There is a bit of conduit sticking out of the bottom with three leads issuing forth, two on one terminal block & the other on its own. No sign of where the usual Niphan (?) leads might plug in or sockets fit. It has feet and is obviously intended to be free standing.

The manual shows the T300 direct driving a 50 volt genny, both mounted on the neat cast ali bed plate that I also have. It gives a weight of 187 lbs & that's probably about right, given that the dynamo is a real lump and must weigh the best part of 80-90 lbs on its own. Conversely, it gives the weight of the dist board as 75 lbs, but unless I'm stronger than I thought, that's not correct. I'd have guessed at about forty pounds.

I'd love to see a photo of the whole shooting match in use - anyone got one?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

message

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I sit corrected :-)...but I did get it back on topic. AFAIK the round frame came in two forms: the air portable as you describe, and the airborne PSU (Sunderland?) which had a rudimentary control-board in a semi-circular housing in one end of the frame. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

So you did ;o))

AFAIK, all Sunderland APU's were dedicated ABC based units, but I'd be fascinated to hear there was a unit based around A.N. Other engine. They were not framed per se, just bolted to a sliding rail & buried in the starboard wing root. The unit could be started with a recoil pull starter, but it is very hard to do and was normally started with the 300 watt 24 volt dynamotor. The engine also drove two 400 psi compressors, lifted fuel at

2,6500 gallons an hour or emptied the bilge at the same rate if required. Not all at once, you understand ..........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim, 26.5 thousand gallons an hour must have needed a very big pump. 8^)

Reply to
Dave Croft

S-o-r-r-y ;o)) 2,500 GPH - still not bad for a pushrod 250 flat twin!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn