Astle jottings

Astle Park 1000 Engine Rally

Interesting. I'd not been to this rally before and whilst perhaps there were not a thousand engines present, there were certainly more than I'd seen in any other place by a good long way. The engines, tractors, hot fog vehicles and old cars & bikes were in serried ranks arrayed with a reasonable distance between each one. Camping and caravans were scattered around the site in profusion, but even here there was an underwhelming sign of overt organisation, just tidily parked because that seemed to be the thing to do. I was most impressed, actually and any Health and Safety officer would have been mildly pleased to see such underlying common sense exhibited by so many.

I arrived at 10.30pm on Friday, found a spot in the line up, put up my gazebo (ably assisted by Neville, who knew me from somewhere), unloaded the engines and went to the beer tent. I had a cyder but couldn't see anyone I knew, so went to bed. Nature called me at the ungodly hour of 5.45 and I knew it was useless going back to bed, so went in search of petrol, finding it on the M6. Back for breakfast and a wander around the auction site where absolutely nothing called to me. I looked at various things in the club stand, some of which did call to me but none of them loudly enough to get my wallet out - in fact, the only thing I found to interest me was a pressure gauge which the bloke apologised for the needle being stuck at just under 15 psi. So I gave him £1.50 for it .

It was now 10.00am or so, so I wandered back to the line up, started the engines (Coventry Victor MA2 and Norman T300 marine engine, plus my hybrid Iron Horse teaser and the Edgar Westbury 80 watt) in time for it to rain. No sooner done than a steward arrived to tell me I must remove my gazebo. It appears that they are not allowed at this rally (completely news to me!!) as " . they are dangerous when they blow away."

R-i-g-h-t.

I argued with all the authority and eloquence of which I am capable as the rain pattered on the plastic roof above us, but he stuck to his guns and offered me the loan of a fishing umbrella. This I accepted with reasonably good grace, but I was not happy to cower thus before the occasional flurries of rain and decided then that I'd be on my way that evening. Dave Croft had posted a .jpg of the rules at

and having read through them again now, I can see no mention of such a rule. Hmmmph!

I walked around the stalls for a while and was struck by the ever-increasing number of stalls selling tools and WD equipment. There seem to be more and more at every event I attend.

Back through the engine pens and an exciting array of engines both ancient and modern, including a Norman T300 that spent its entire day INSIDE a fishing tent, gleaming but silent. Philip T-E remarked upon the sheer number of engines that must have been cast in water-soluble iron as they were tightly sheeted down for the whole day with none going near them let alone running them. Many that were cheerfully running in the rain were stared at, but none called to me to get my chair for a longer look. It was noticeable (as usual) that cantankerous and hard-to-start engines attracted the onlooker whilst those quietly pursuing their lawful occasions were unremarked. Damp, windy fields are no place for hot bulb engines! May you live with an Interesting Engine, perhaps ;o))

This hobby is a small enough world for one to collect a number of friends and acquaintances in quite a short time, but I was nonetheless surprised at the number of people that said "Hello Kim". Included amongst the ones I could place a name to was Andy Badman that had sold me the Norman marine engine and the Westbury 80 watt I was exhibiting, the guy next to me on my left was Paul to whom I'd sold a Wolseley magneto and Jim Anderson from Edinburgh, the previous owner of my much prized ABC auxiliary engine appeared like a genii from a lamp to make my day complete. Amongst the usual suspects, Philip Thornton-Evison, Tim Leech, a Wild and Wolseley Scotsman, Nick Highfield and his wife Helen, Dave Croft and Arthur Griffin who arrived in his usual quiet fashion expecting me to have forgotten him! I lost count of the people who came up and discussed the Parsons with me, each saying that they'd been to look at it or thought about buying it and complimenting me on my nerve on taking on such a nerve-wracking long distance tow. Sheer bloody-minded stupidity, more like . I wasn't taking notes, so I know I've forgotten some names - my apologies for that.

Having been involved in outdoor events for many years, I'm interested to see the level of control - or the lack of it - at events like this. We are a pretty decent, clean living, urban set of people, so I suppose there is no real reason for a tightly written set of rules, but I could find no one to tell me what time the public arrived or were encouraged to leave, what time we could get vehicles on, leave or whatever - although it is true I did not go to the lengths of asking at the caravan. So I resolved of my own authority to turn my engines off at 4.45 and fetch the car at five. This I did, stripped my rather soggy patch and, returning the fishing umbrella on the way out, made my way in advance of the two coach parties to the Anson Museum just ten miles away.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I know not of the rules since a family issue prevented me fulfilling my booking at Astle. However gazebos certainly can be dangerous. At one rally last year I saw one rise 30' in the air and travel about the same horizontal distance. Fortunately no-one was under its landing and the small dog attached to it by his lead emerged unscathed from his impromptu flying lesson. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

The '1000 engine' tag has always been aspirational rather than actual, but I do think numbers were somewhat down on the reported 700 (Old Glory rally guide) of last year. However, quality and variety were there in spades - what I particularly like is that this rally seems to bring out the not necessarily rare but not often rallied engines.

Weather was actually somewhat better than I expected from forecasts, the rain was steady on Sat but it never actually got heavy and Sunday was near perfect, though we did drive through some torrential showers after leaving the rallyfield at about three.

Though it is a bit of a shock to the system to be dragged from infront of the computer blinking into the daylight and be expected to prove that you actually exist, it was nice to be able to put a few faces to names. Sad to say I will probably have forgotten most next time we meet - I have a pretty good memory for engines but a lousy one for people!

I find the club stand a very good idea and wonder why more rallies don't do it. Looked longingly at Lozier marine engine, bought a couple of DTI's and something called a "Demon Water Motor" don't really know why but I couldn't leave it sitting there for £10!

I found the market pretty interesting to poke round but bought only an Air Ministry "Generator, Engine Driven" (from the bloke who had the Douglas FT??? bits). It's basically a large car type dynamo with some fancy ally cowlings and I thought it might suit the Marconi-Stanley but when I got it home I realized that the direction of rotation is wrong. Never mind, it won't eat anything.

All in an excellent if rather tiring and expensive weekend - on current form we should be back in about 2008!

Reply to
Nick H

Hear hear. As Frank Zappa said (on a rather different subject!) "keep it greasy" ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

I didn't have the covers on mine whilst the public were in and on Saturday was one of the last engines to be running. If the engine wasn't running it was usually because I was attempting to effect a cure for a problem or recovering from the last failed attempt. I can sympathise with those who run large gas engines for example where the engine is hungry for a hard to accomodate propane bottle. For the rest I feel that you should try and run the engines as much as possible and at worst havethem on show as a static exhibit. A wipe with an oily rag will always repair any damage done by a days rain especially if the engine has been cleaned this way before.

Often as a movement we moan at the lack of respect we get from the public at events and this type of behaviour, especially at what is meant to be the showcase event for our hobby, does nothing for our cause.

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith