Hot tube ignition questions

I'm attempting to build a model hot-tube engine and could use some information. Specifically, what is the common bore/stroke ratio (or what were popular bore/stroke sizes) and what was a common compression ratio (I've seen from 3:1 to 6:1).

TIA- Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I don't know if the compression ratio and hot tube ignition are related - I suspect not, you can ignite a gas air mixture on a hot surface without any compression at all. I have quite a lot of details of an 1898 6.5HP Crossley gas engine to hand. That had a bore of

6.69inches and a stroke of 1.187feet. It was hot tube, using a porcelain tube, with a valve controlling when the gas/air mix was allowed into the tube. Normal rpm was about 215.

According to a 1911 book by Duncan gas engines vary in the maximum pressure during compression from 50psi to 200psi.

In general long stroke engines are slower revving.

Steve

Reply to
Steve