Another topic, update on SA-200 welder, non-real-estate-related

As some may recall, the consensus was that the welder was not firing on all four cylinders under load. In addition, it developed a fuel
leak through carburetor. Besides that, it woudl run out of fuel when running.
This is a followup to the story.
1) I changed spark plugs 2) I rebuilt the carb with a kit from NAPA. 3) I opened up the fuel bowl next to the tank, and removed an inordinate amount of crap and changed the fuel filter screen and the gasket. 4) I opened up and cleaned the 12V fuel shutoff valve. 5) I added a tractor muffler to it.
The result of this is that the welder does not run out of fuel, does not leak fuel, does not run out of fuel when running, fires on all cylinders when welding, and is much quieter. In fact, it is quieter than a typical lawnmower. I put 7 welding rods through it in quick succession, and it worked through them like nothing.

It is a beauty, how much do you want for it?

I would say, $700 is a fair price, maybe $1,000 for the antique factor.
I am too far from you to buy it though.
Amazing what an old engine does with a bit of TLC!
On 4/24/2011 6:29 PM, Ignoramus28268 wrote:

This is an unusually well made engine. 130+ PSI compression in all four cylinders. I know why people love those SA-200s. Very nice arc.

Enjoy this fine classic in good health.
The SA-200 is rated 200 amps at 28 volts or 5600 watts. At 746 watts per HP, that equates to a theoretical 7.4 hp. That Continental 4 banger is good for 50 or 60 hp so it never breaks a sweat driving the welder. Keep the rpm down to 1800 and it will last and last.
On 4/24/2011 9:54 PM, Ignoramus28268 wrote:

It looks more like as 20 HP engine to me.

On 4/25/2011 12:50 AM, Ignoramus28268 wrote:

I was presuming that it was continental 163 since that is what the Lincoln manual references. The 163 is 162 cubic inches so hp rating of 50 to 60 would be reasonable. The other models (N-56, N-62 ...........) are smaller. (The numeric portion of the model is pretty close to the displacement)
The last data was from a google search. Your on-line copy of the manual was top of the search list! :) Check out page 5 of the manual (page 10 of the .pdf)
The spec sheet was interesting: the 163 has bore/stroke of 3-7/16"x4-3/8. That is a really undersquare engine, very long stroke. Specs on the 162 and 163 are the same except for the compression ratio and the addition of a bigger crank in the 163. Your 163 is the high performance engine! Compression ratio of 7.4:1 says your compression test should come out at 100 psi expected, 108 max.

Roy, I measured compression on all cylinders when I was changing spark plugs. It came out as 132, 135, 135, 137.
I did look at that document yesterday, and did not find HP numbers.

That conti engine is, I believe, rated at 40HP. The little one (same engine with smaller bore) was 35 - from what I remember of my tractor days.

I read one time, but forgot already, the operating RPM, which IIRC, was around 1500. That would also make it last a long time. Anyone know the rpm rating off hand. I probably have it in my manual in my desk, but it's late, and I'm lazy.
Steve
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:10:23 -0700, "Steve B"

Generally AC 60 cycle equipment is either 1800 or 3600 RPM. The good stuff runs 1800, the cheap stuff 3600.
The 120 volt on the SA-200 is a DC circuit, rpm won't be pegged to the 1800rpm/3600rpm requirement.
On 4/26/2011 7:25 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think just for grins and giggles, I'm going to compression test mine. 130 is good.
Steve
Here's a new video of it running, including burning a whole 6013 welding rod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLEhOs3ivSQ

Iggy, that looks like a lot of satisfaction. I have no knowledge of that particular generator, but watching and listening to the video I sense that the motor is slowing down severely under the welding load. Does the motor have a governor mechanism to maintain speed under load conditions? If so, I suspect you might need to perform a repair and/or adjustment. There is normally a centrifugally driven connection to the throttle. Someone else in the group might be able to advise.
--
Regards,

Chas.

(To email me, replace "xxx" with letters tango papa golf.)

There is a speed control (idle control) board. I have a feeling that it may not be wired right.
Iggy, see if you can hear a working rig somewhere, yours doesn't sound right. The idle should be quieter, and the engine should fire up and run faster while it is welding or generating, then idle back down.
--
DanG

Dan, which component of it is responsible for this speeding up and down? Mine does not do that, indeed.