Another topic, update on SA-200 welder, non-real-estate-related

Your governor is not working or is adjusted very poorly. Take a picture of it and I can tell you how to repair/adjust it.

John

Reply to
John

Most machinery seems to just run better with good parts, good gas, proper settings, and crud removal. They're funny like that.

A muffler is on my to get list. I have used mine all week, and the noise of a straight pipe is just more than I can take.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I think just for grins and giggles, I'm going to compression test mine. 130 is good.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I read one time, but forgot already, the operating RPM, which IIRC, was around 1500. That would also make it last a long time. Anyone know the rpm rating off hand. I probably have it in my manual in my desk, but it's late, and I'm lazy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve, you will LOVE a good muffler. With this muffler, the fan on the engine is much louder than the exhaust. Mine is from Farm and Fleet. The difference is night and day.

Ignoramus14081

A beach towel wrapped around the pipe would sound better than this. You know when you have those "That's IT!" moments.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I will take pictures today.

Ignoramus7326

Generally AC 60 cycle equipment is either 1800 or 3600 RPM. The good stuff runs 1800, the cheap stuff 3600.

Reply to
clare

The 120 volt on the SA-200 is a DC circuit, rpm won't be pegged to the

1800rpm/3600rpm requirement.

Reply to
RoyJ

John, here's a few pictures.

thanks

Ignoramus14859

Disconnect that solenoid (the part on the end of the rubber diaphragm) and jump it directly with 12v. That should tell you if the solenoid is reacting to the signal which should come from the circuit board. Yes, it could be that your governor or solenoid is out of whack, or it could be the circuit board.

My circuit board is fried, so I am just using a piece of wire to the throttle until I can find someone here in Southern Utah that knows how to fix these, or take the whole unit to Las Vegas, and get it all fixed as new. The guy said the most it could cost was $300. I think I'll use the wire for a while.

Google Lincoln Operating Manual IM-276-B, and print it. Quite a bit of information, but not total.

Under troubleshooting:

Engine fails to pick up speed when arc is struck

Check idler.

With all your electronics knowledge, you should be able to figure it out. If you are going to be playing with these, get hold of Lincoln, and get the service books even if you have to pay. They will save you a lot of time and money, being able to replace or adjust the exact part, be sure about it, and not do the trial and error method of part replacement.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Reply to
Steve B

Steve, the idler board itself is just $95 at Weldmart. They warranty it for 2 years.

I will play with this stuff and I will br bringing in the secnod SA-200 tomorrow.

Ignoramus14859

It looks like you have a solenoid coil to activate the linkage for high rpm. The first thing to do is to check to see if that is working. The repair manual that someone else posted has all the info to check that and the rest of the governor system. A governor is just a mechanical servo system and pretty easy to set up once you understand the adjustments. Make sure the governor itself is moving when you operate the throttle manually. Check the diagram and make sure all the springs are installed in the right places. My usual experience with governors is that something failed and then it got rigged up to run at full speed all the time just so they can weld with it.

John

Reply to
John

John, I will check tomorrow, I may have two welders to work on! My wife will kill me!

Reply to
Ignoramus14859

I "think" that my governor is working because when I accelerate it with my hand on the throttle linkage, as the rpm goes up, the throttle linkage pushes away from the governor.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Ignoramus14859" wrote

Thx. The ones from Lincoln are more, IIRC. My problem is that I really don't understand the electronics, and am afraid of cooking new parts. I fried my electric tester the other day, one I had for years, and liked. Just a whiff of smoke and that was that. I know these things are not rocket surgery, and that I could probably figure it out eventually. It sure would be nice to have it totally running like it's supposed to.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The wires may be fine.

Right. Let us know what paint you choose. I think that I would use cold galvanizing paint. Fuck the looks, I just want it to not rust.

The muffler is like a gift from Heaven, I gotta tell you.

I got two 2/0 50 foot leads for free. Well, they were not free, they came with a welder that I bought for $90. The welder came with a heavy duty shop cart and those leads (two 2/0 50 footers, and one smaller whip).

I sold the welder for $100 and kept the leads and the shop cart.

At least it is life worthy of living.

Ignoramus9529

teach her how to weld. Then she will appreciate a good machine.

John

Reply to
John