My bad

I had two family members come and help me erect a 12' x 12' x 8' high, and a

25' x 10' x 9' high metal carport cover. We used the cutting torch for various things. Today, I noticed that the newly filled acetylene tank was left laying on its side, a thing I instructed a newbie helper to do for overnight storage. Today, I realized that we were cutting with it in the horizontal position. It seemed to be working okay. I used my large oxygen laying down, as it is a pain to move around. Time to make a cart, I know.

Two questions: Is it absolutely necessary for it to be totally vertical, or can it be a little tilted? I have seen them on carts with just a five or ten degree tilt. Secondly, if there is component separation, how long does it have to stand vertical before everything stratifies to "normal"?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Steve B wrote in sci.engr.joining.welding on Mon, 25 Apr 2011 21:20:09 -0700:

A little tilted it OK. You could probably get away with 45deg.

I asked a welder about how long you need to let a cylinder 'rest' after having been laid on its side. He said you could use it right away. But I would let it stand for a few minutes.

Reply to
dan

Best rule is as long upright as it was on it's side or a minimum or 8 hours, if unknown.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

A little tilt is OK. The problem is the liquid acetone inside the tank, that has the acetylene dissolved in it, will settle into the valve stem when the tank is horizontal. If you open the valve in this situation, you are spewing the acetone into the regulator. In an old acetylene tank the acetone can be rather thick, like syrup. If this syrup spews into the regulator it can clog the inlet filter. It takes a while for it to settle back into the plaster core once set upright. If the liquid makes it into the hose or worse the torch, it can explode.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler