Look what I dug up

I found this in the garden, it says Rover Coventry on the top.
What might it have come from?

Mike
Reply to
Muddymike
Something bicycley?
NHH
Reply to
NHH
It looks a bit too hefty for a bicycle, it measures 48mm x 42 mm and weighs 180gm
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike
A wheel cap nut with greaser?
Regards,
Kim Siddorn
Reply to
kimsiddorn
What happens underneath, how about another pic?
NHH
Reply to
NHH
A Rover?? Pete
Reply to
THE DOUGLAS STATIONARY ENGINE RESOURCE (admin)
YWIMC see
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike
"THE DOUGLAS STATIONARY ENGINE RESOURCE (admin)"
Damm, why didn't I think of that :-)
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike
None the wiser - I was expecting freds which might have confirmed Kim's hub cap (old wagon wheel type) idea.
NHH
Reply to
NHH
No freds, apart from those at the top which are in perfect condition despite the body of the thing looking like it has been well bashed about.
As in
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike
Perhaps a greaser for an engine ancillary. A water pump or dynamo maybe where it could be retained by a screwed ring or bolted up plate.
ttfn
Reply to
Roland Craven
It looks like a part from a very early Rover car. Rover started making cars in 1904 so it could easily be pre WW1. It looks like a greaser of some sort but I've no idea wher from.
John
Reply to
John
So the mystery remains. I can see it is an oiling point from something, its grossly over engineered going by the size and weight which suggests its very old. Must ask the question elsewhere. At present it makes an interesting paper weight!
Mike
Reply to
Muddymike