Magneto Help Please

I've been out in the garage trying to get my Petter PU8 to start. There appears to be no spark on the plugs. I've cleaned the points on the magneto and although I haven't got a set of feelers gauges the gap looks to be about the same as on a Morris Minor. (Someone at a fair yesterday advised me to set them to 25 thou). Now whether or not the gap or the timing is bang on I should still be getting some sort of spark yes? Is there anything else that would be stopping me getting a spark?

Thanks

Reply to
malc

Malc,

I had a PU8 for a few years and if I remember correctly you have a BTH Magneto, where the plug leads connect, if you take the bakelite bodies away that the leads connect in you may find springs and carbon brushes and a slip ring on the mag shaft, give this lot a good clean and reassemble then try again.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Thanks Martin. I'll have to find some quarter inch a/f spanners methinks. I was going to Halfords tomorrow anyway.

Reply to
malc

Did you take the points right off the base plate and crack off the oxide which will certainly have formed on them if its not been used in (say) a year?

If not, you have probably only cleaned the oxide! Take them right off then stone them up with 800 grit wet & dry lubricated with a little light oil. wipe with meths & reassemble. A bit of thin card will gap the points but if you have CLEAN feelers, try 18 thou to start with.

Fit new plugs, no suppressor caps, try again.

BTW, PU8s are known to be both difficult to start & thirsty brutes which is why someone cannt shift them even at £95 each!

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Didn't try that I must admit. They don't look like the easiest things in the world to remove.

I got mine for £56 as a non runner.

Reply to
malc

Undo the centre bolt. Wiggle it around in the hole & the points base plate will drop out ready for disassembly. Don't loose the tiny screws & remember where the insulating washers go.

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn