Maytag generator on e-bay

- was sold in the US for over £650.

Gosh ..........

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Kim Siddorn" wrote

This one however didn't draw a single bid.

Gives me an idea though - I have an American 1/4kw 110vdc genny which would sit just nicely over a Maytag twin ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

"Nick H" wrote:-

And now I have the Maytag to suit:-

Reading the description I wondered if the vendor might be Simon Jennings and it indeed turned out to be so. Wanting to check that everything was ok before I collected the engine, Simon went to start it and promptly bust the kick-start sector - I'm sure we can all imagine how he must have felt! Actually, looking at the break, one can see that it was already over half way there. Being a gent he speedily emailed me offering to either drop the deal or deduct the likely cost of sourcing a replacement part from the USA which I was happy to accept - haven't managed to get the bugger started yet though.

I dug out the generator and found it was somewhat bigger and heavier than I remembered - in fact I think it weighs more than the engine! It is a General Electric (Fort Wayne) model 5BC66AB2147 if that means anything to anyone. I wouldn't put it any earlier than the 1950's with its pressed steel mounting feet so why so damned heavy for a measly 250W?

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

I can have a look next week at Tulare, will need some info though to know what I am looking for.

GE Fort Wayne was one of their big Military manufacturing sites, Fort Wayne is where we fly into for the Portland show. Huge airfield but small civil operations.

It's heavy because it is very conservatively rated, probably good for double or more output.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes" wrote (snip):-

Thanks, talk to you off list.

I reckon size and weight would be good for at least 1KW on a modern machine - tag says continuously rated with 40 deg. temp rise.

Reply to
Nick H

interesting, the 250 watt generator being heavy. many of the small generators like that were designed for 24/7 duty and there was no premium on lightness. ("heavy" seemed to mean "durable" then) i worked at GE fort wayne in the sixties. don't know more, though.

seems like eons ago........... sammmm

Reply to
SAMMMMM

Have had two offers of the required part from the USA, plus I think our resident Viking also has some bits to come back. Not sure if this is for April or August, but will keep you informed.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

I need a conn road and two pistons with rings for a Maytag 72 as long as the prices are not catastrophic! I've just come up from the workshop and cannot find any sign of a serial number, so we are flying by the seat of our pants here. It is green, fixed head, sits on its petrol tank, has a direct lift carb thingy (just a knob to twist) and the flywheel magneto is at the side, not on top.

If it's any help, it is the one that Philip Thornton-Evison brought back from the States last year.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

In spring, a man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of getting his motorcycle on the road!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn