Message to "Tom"

Re:- Your advice from 20th August regarding the "Norton Removal tool" I've just taken your advice and used the Removal Tool that you recommended and it worked a treat.Many thanks!!! Am now temporarily running AVG Free until I find something better, which I doubt!

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

That software removal tool is essential if you need to completely remove Norton/Symantec AV software.

At least they do make it available, it would be a nightmare to do without it.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Hope you've switched off the search results page scanning, unless the default is now off. Pops up little green logos next to each entry on a search result to tell you the page is "safe", trouble is it downloads the page to check it, even if you don't click on the link. Does nasty things to the amount of data download which may impact any useage limits...

I dropped AVG Free 8 because of this "feature" and now use Avast!. I found AVG was slowing the system down on loading files as well, Avast! doesn't, at least not noticeably.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
campingstoveman

I've used it several times and it's worked every time for me. I also haven't found anything that beats AVG free (for the price:-)

Glad to have helped

Tom

Reply to
Tom

If you just turn off the Linkscanner function, the AVG icon turns into a red warning symbol.

Best to leave it on and then if you are using IE just go to Tools, Manage Add-ons, click AVG Safe Search, then Disable.

Then it's as good as it ever was.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

rote in message

I've just started running Avast after the latest version of AVG caused a ZoneAlarm error. Seems OK at the moment, used this link to get the download;

BTW the Norton uninstaller advice also applies the McAfee. I used the Control Panel in Windows XP to uninstall it then found the uninstaller and couldn't believe how much more was removed.

Fred

Reply to
g6zru