OT - bomb trolley for sale

Believed to date from the Second World War, this unusual little trailer has couplings front and back so as to include it in a bomb train, the sort of thing you see in old photos on their way to arm up Lancasters at dispersal. You can see it at

I bought it with the intention of mounting a couple of appropriate engines permanently on the bed, but have discovered I prefer to lift them in and out of the Volvo rather than be restricted by towing.

It appears to be unused and certainly the moulding line is still intact around the tyre tread. It has swinging link leaf suspension and it's very effective too - well, you'd not want to jar a 1,500 pounder, would you? Could spoil your whole day

As a historical object in its own right, it would make a valuable addition to any WW2 display or could be readily modified for road use, long predating any modern legislation about trailers.

I've modified the hitch to attach a modern towing 500mm ball coupling, but have of course retained the original ring so it can be easily restored to original if required.

No one could call it a lightweight and it will need collection from my home is south east Bristol . The Law may object to you towing it as is (although I did!) as it has no mudguards.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

With that size coupling, it's going to be heavy. Sorry Kim, couldn't resist a comment.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Wow! 500mm ball couplings! You Brits sure do things in a big way . . .

Jack in Oz

Reply to
Jack Watson

Jack, never mind the size of the balls - you should see the bomb!

Arthur G :-)

Reply to
Arthur G