OT: but is still engineering related

That will give you an idea of the stalling torque (if the motor doesn't burn out) which may well not be the maximum. To do the job properly you need to rig up a simple prony brake, but I guess an alternative would be to measure the current consumption at various speeds, assume a figure for efficiency to work out the shaft power and then divide by speed to calculate torque.

Reply to
Nick H

Gentlemen,

Stupid question time.

I have a 12VDC pancake motor without any spec plate etc, this maybe a stupid question but is it possible to calculate the torque of the motor without running it?

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Yet another stupid question,

If I connected my Torque wrench to the motor and applied a voltage the motor would try to turn breaking the wrench, if I then increased the torque setting and repeated the experiment then the point the motor would not break the wrench is just above its maximum torque! Daft or what.

Mart> Gentlemen,

Reply to
Campingstoveman