OT - inviting roadsign?

from another list .........

Take the road from Geneva airport via Annecy to the Trois Vallees ski resort in the Frenc Alps, and some way along the route there's a tempting right turn, signposted

PUSSY 4km

Don't all rush now ..............

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Have you noticed when you take the road into North wales that the signs start of in English then Welsh. Later on they are Welsh then English as you get further along? Nothing unusual with that but look at the signs in Welsh for 'Services' It's the closest you will get in English to Gastro Enteritis

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON SNR

In message , CHARLES HAMILTON SNR writes

I can confirm that such a sign exists, somewhere in Switzerland - I've driven past it often :-)

Reply to
Peter Scales

Of course if there is a problem with getting about in Deutschland you may see the sign FAHRTPROBLEM !

:-).

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

The word you refer to John, is Gwasanaethau. (Welsh for services).

An work associate of mine once arranged to meet me at the services "at Gwasanaethau". Being tickled by this I never told him...

He must think it's a common place name!

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Also in Denmark you sometimes see a sign in a lift saying "I Fart" (In Motion)

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Aaahh, A bit like that quaint old English Village oft signposted "Adverse Camber"

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

...or the street sign often to be seen in German towns "Sackgasse[1]"...

[1]cul-de-sac - which translates from the French as 'a**e-of-bag' :-)

Regards, Andrew, who really must find the tuits this spring to get the rad-cooled D and alternator going in its little shed in the back garden.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

There's a Perth (WA) suburb called Innaloo - the locals love to watch the reaction when they are asked where they live. (I am assuming that the word "loo" is not just an Aussie euphemism?)

Also for those dirty weekends there is an Intercourse Island off the nor'west coast, could be more popular if it were not about 1,500 km from Perth. Would be a great place to send a postcard from - "Wish you were here ..."

JW² in Oz Norton AntiVirus 2003 installed

************************************
Reply to
Jack Watson

Or this one

Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

As an amateur radio operator, a Welsh contact once told me of a friend who was going to see him. As the location was in darkest nowhere, they arranged a talk in frequency. The guest duly called up for directions. when asked where he was he stuttered at the Welsh name before him before admitting defeat and so spelled the whole thing phonetically. "There" he said " do you know where I am now?" "Yes" came the reply "You're in the car park of some services"

John

Reply to
John Manders

And the little village in NW France called Brassparts. Avoided by monkeys at all costs.

John

Reply to
John Manders

In message , John Manders writes

The French find the British road sign "Beware - Soft Verges" hilarious.

Wassail!

Reply to
Martin Phillips

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON SNR

Seen once outside a shop. "Ladders - 30% off" Shorter or cheaper ?

John

Reply to
John Manders

Cwm Bach? Simply 'Small Valley' in what would have had a fair chance of being your native tongue 1500 years or so ago. That is before those nasty Angles and Saxons drove the poor old Brits to the far reaches of this island and made them foreigners (Waelas) in their own country. (Guess who got 'The Adventure of English' for Christmas!)

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Good series, good book.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Nick High field said - ,............ and made them foreigners (Waelas) in their own country. (Guess who got 'The Adventure of English' for Christmas!)

Guess who appeared in and was Technical Adviser (re-creations) for "The Adventure of English"? (Programmes 1&2) ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

"When three or more are involved, the culprit will frequently escape punishment"

Laws of Hammurabi, 1780BC

Reply to
J K Siddorn