OT - tax that car!

A friend of mine is a magistrate and he occasionally passes on a "word to
the wise" and has just posted the following.

Just a word of warning to those who may be a bit tardy in renewing their
road tax. Penalties are now much higher. If you are late renewing you can
be required to pay a late renewal supplement of £40 if paid within 28 days,
or £80 thereafter.
You may be offered an out of court settlement which must be paid within 28
days or a summons will be issued. If by that date you have
a. not renewed the road tax,
b. declared a SORN (statutory off road notice), or
c. notified the DVLA of disposal
there will be on conviction a MANDATORY MINIMUM PENALTY of £1000 must be
ordered by the court.
The registered keeper is guilty unless a,b, or c has occurred or the vehicle
has been stolen *(evidential burden is on the accused in all cases)* prior
to the relevant time

I chimed in with ........
Additional to these is that it is no longer a matter of taking yer old motor
down the scrappie and walking away, SORN in hand. EU legislation requires
safe disposal of the freons in your air conditioning, the carbon black in
your tyres and the acid in your battery - an average fee is £85.
I'm cheerfully told by my mate in the local "graveyard" that this is set to
rise to around £300 in the near future. No surprise, then, that the layby up
the hill from me so often has a burnt out car in it ..........
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn,
Reply to
Kim Siddorn