OT - vehicle theft

This came from another list. What will they think of next? It's certainly possible and costs nothing to take the precaution so here goes. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Subject: Fw: Car thieves

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your wheels without any effort at all. The thieves peer through the windscreen of your vehicle, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this, so I called a local dealer and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device too if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car at his convenience. No mess, no fuss - and no car! He just disarms your immobiliser, inserts the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it so it can't be viewed by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some swine steals their car!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Given that your post sounded uncannily like an urban myth (the clue: I urge you to forward this to your friends) I checked it with Google and low and behold:

Richard H Huelin

Richard is right, there it is in hoax busters. However, I had given this one some thought. Having spent a good part of my life as a Parts Manager in one car dealership or another, I can tell you that not all dealers vet their staff with the Police (!) and getting someone behind the counter of a main dealership would not be rocket science.

And away you go ...

There are multiple opportunities where cars are left in (say) multi stories, railway station, park and rides all day - sometimes all night, too. The man that reads your VIN number need not be the one that gets the key. Car bits are expensive these days and replacing a window and lock will be an easily avoided expense for the professional thief.

Like I said, it might well be an urban myth, but that isn't to say it wouldn't work. Taping over your VIN number might be paranoid right up until the moment the car's not where you left it!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Interesting but easily resolved. I live in France and had to get another key for my Saxo last year. The dealer insisted on the production of my original "Carte Gris" (French Log Book) and ID (only a National ID Card or Passport accepted) before the key was ordered.

Mike Ricketts

Reply to
Mike Ricketts

I was done by the current theft last week. Both number plates stolen from my car. The police say they are used to cover the thieves genuine plates while he is filling up. & driving away from the filling station. (A video camera records all plates at the station) To have new plates cost me £30 & I had to book the trip to the dealer. Also to take my driving licence, vehicle document & passport for the photo. The new restrictions on buying plates are why the thieves now steal them!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Very true, I have known many storeman who were not adverse to bending the rules for the price of a pint.

If I recall correctly when VIN numbers first appeared on some cars they were stamped in the metal of the facia near the base of the windscreen. That said for the past 15 years or so I can not recall seeing any car where the whole of the facia was not completly covered with decorative trim. I suspect that any vehicle where the VIN number is visable would be either not worth stealing, or so easy to steal that getting a key cut would make the excercise pointless.

Currently I have on my drive a Honda Civic, Toyota Yaris and a Vauxhall Astra, if you can read the VIN numbers of any of them through their windscreens let alone tape over them I will buy you a 75cc bottle of the tipple of your choice.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

the station)

Obviously now time to gently pop rivet these on

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Big Snip

A good idea John. The thieves started stealing the plates of the car next to mine but couldn't remove a rusty screw on the rear plate. They just moved to the next vehicle, Mine!

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

"Richard H Huelin" wrote (snip):-

My two year old Suzuki Wagon R has VIN plate clearly visible near base of windscreen as you describe - Laphoaig or Ardbeg please!

Reply to
Nick H

No you have to read the VIN plates off a Honda Civic, Toyota Yaris or a Vauxhall Astra. Very carefully worded bet

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

Blast! I thought I was in with a chance, having an Astra at home.

It's looking like adry weekend for thee and me, Nick. :-(

Reply to
Arthur G

Not just any old ones either, Richard quite specifically says his own vehicles.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Not just any old ones either, Richard quite specifically says his own vehicles.

Wot - from here?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"Prepair Ltd" wrote

Looks like I've lucked out on the malt then, but a quick shufti at a few cars as I walked around the industrial estate at lunch time showed quite a few dashboard tops to be so adorned. I also spotted a motorcycle half buried under some fly tipping (nice area eh?) wonder if I should inform the local plod.

Reply to
Nick H

But not a safe one, assuming that the OP hasn't covered or removed them on his cars... I had a Yaris courtesy car a month or so back the VIN was visible on a metal plate, along with airbag symbol, bottom near side corner of the windscreen. Just checked the two nearest cars here both display their VINs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

FWIW.. Last time I was was in Long Beach, I locked the keys in my rental Chev. In the rear quarter light, was a decal with the GM warranty freephone number. A call there, quoting the VIN number had a locksmith at the car in less than 10 mins with a cut key in his hand. All I had given was the VIN # and location... On the other hand, Alamo, the rental car company had quoted up to 4 hours before they could get a replacement key to me.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

he is filling up.

plates at the station)

There are usually a couple or three lying around on the grass verges round here after the Saturday evening boy racers failed to negotiate a tight line around the corners. If they are still on the verge after a couple of days I 'look after' them.

--=20 astro

Reply to
blackhole_for_spam

A more considered analysis can be found at

--=20 astro

Reply to
blackhole_for_spam

"astro" said > A more considered analysis can be found at

Which concludes .........

.........obscuring your car's dashboard VIN with a piece of tape might just provide the little extra edge that prevents you from becoming a car theft victim someday.

- and rest ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

And in the next para:

"Also, covering your car's VIN may violate local laws: New York City parking regulations, for example, specify that "No person shall stand or park a vehicle that has the vehicle identification number obscured in any manner.""

Though that is for NY. I don't know about this country I suspect not as we have a more formal system regarding number plates than the US.

Even getting a key from a deaIer doesn't get around the transponder in the key not being recognised by the cars BCU. So you still have problems with the alarm and immobilser.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice