OT: Why Vikings wore horns on their helmets

To cover their little pointy ears of course!

This _is_ uk.rec.norse, isn't it?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Very strange I liked this one though

The wild eye

Yerst - I'm afraid we have to suffer this stuff from time to time. If anyone should care, my research indicates that the first person to say that Vikings had horns on their helmets was the costume designer at Bayreuth in 1975 for the first production of the Ring Cycle. I'd like to know his name so that I can have him ritually cursed!

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Are winged Norse helmets similarly apocryphal, Kim?

I've always thought they look rather fine.

Reply to
Arthur G

Yes, Arthur, complete fabrication - and I of course meant "18" 75, not 1975 ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Ya need to do a bit more research! :_0

Cheers Tom

Reply to
Tom

I was aware of this page, but do not necessarily agree with all their conclusions. That said, it is a very useful resource and our webpage update will point to it under FAQ.

regards,

Kim Siddorn. Author "Viking Weapons and Warfare"

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

A question arising from that page, even further OT:- The writer refers to dates BC and AD, which I understand, but also dates C.E. What are they? Church of England calendar? Excuse my higgorance.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Seems to me the whole thing is akin to the codpiece. Idle boasting :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Tim, C.E. is an Americanism = Christian Era, or AD as we might say.

B.C.E. is Before Christian Era.

HTH

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

But he also talks about BC & AD. Crazy

Thanks Tim

Tim Leech

My smiley denoting a degree of humour was corrupted in my haste to depart to a place of exercise! :-(

However on a more serious note are you aware that you can configure your newsreader so that the post that you are replying to, can be quoted. Sometimes it's difficult to follow your train of thought...

Tom

Reply to
Tom