Paint

Gentlemen,

I'm in the market for paint but it has to be petrol resistant, any thoughts please.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Probably 2-pack polyurethane ?

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Am I thinking that is cyanide based and requires spraying, I'm looking to brush it on.?

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Have you upset Peter recently Martin? If you're not too worried about the colour, a local paint shop could spray it when they are doing a car in their booth. I have heard of folks that spray 2 pack outside with only a few ill effects. Make sure it's a light breezy day apparently and the fumes get blown away. It all depends on your assessment of the risk. Back to risk assessments now though and I know how much you dislike them. It may be that the cyanide is not present in the solvent so brush painting may be OK. Anyone know? How petrol resistant does this need to be? Normal car aerosol paint may be OK. My engine gets regular splashes of petrol without showing any problems.

John

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted from Internal Fire Newsreader

Share your knowledge in... uk.rec.engines.stationary ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
John Manders

John, I'm not aware that I have upset the very nice, helpful, intelligent man (grovel, grovel). Car cans tend to be an expensive way of doing large area's and you need several goes to get a thick coat.

Mart>

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I've used PPG synthetic enamel for years and as long as its left to harden properly its petrol resistant. There will be a motor factor in your area. The more helpful will supply in smallish quantities, mix it to any colour (except black) and spec for brushing. Two pack is nasty stuff and IMHO polyurethane, which I have tried, does not have the depth of enamel. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your thoughts, I think I will look out for PPG and I'm also following up a lead from Patrick Knight. As to Two Pack I play with some pretty bad nasties at work but when it comes to handling Cyanide based paints I'm a wimp :-))

Martin P

Camp> Gentlemen,

Reply to
Campingstoveman