Petter A frustration

Having been re called into the army to go to Afganistan in March.

I returned home after my six month stint, free but unemployed until the next crisis.

I have decided to get cracking into restoring my nine Petter A types. I have got a good way into one but the flywheel will not come off. I have tried to take the two cogs off on the opposite side of the flywheel so I can slip the crankshaft and flywheel off altogether, but cannot get the cogs to budge.

What does it take to get these off?

I would love to know so I can get on with my project. I always like to strip the engines down to re paint them but I am thinking of selling them to my old unit for target practice. I wish they were all Lister D types they would be so much easier to restore.

CJ

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Colin,

I apologise if silly question but have you removed the flywheel key. A bit of heat at the point where crank and flywheel meet may help as both materials expand and contract differently and good ole diesel to soak in that area might release it.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Colin,

I have just found a badly copied Petter A manual, whilst looking for yours Nick, and it shows the gears on key ways so they can either have a retaining clip or bolt to be removed on the side your looking. You may need a puller to take the gears off.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Looking at a recently acquired Petters PA2C/Reavell book, the crankshaft is held by a gib key, the timing gear is on a parallel shaft with Woodruff key. There is a through bolt and big washer keeping it in place. Petters only mention a tapered key extractor for the flywheel ket and a 'simple extractor' for the crankshaft gear.

This is the same basic lump as the A1 and A2

Off to Barton Under Needwood shortly... Peter

Prepair Ltd

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

Colin ,

The A you might be giving away for target practice :) - Would it have a decent big end bearing in it? I pulled my grandfather's A from beneath the bench where its been for a good number of years and have began stripping it .

The big end is non-existant by the sound of the knock ! Its a complete little engine with a wipac mag that has a cracking spark so i suppose its something . The job at the minute is to remove the flywheel , as sometime in its career:) it was removed and put on the wrong way around for some unknown reason . I've the pulley off but the flywheel key is being stubborn.

I'd like to have it running before christmas - I'l take some pics and put them up on webshots .

Regards, John Dublin-Ireland

Reply to
jdungan100

Just a quick bit of advice if you're going to buy a gear puller...

You get what you pay for. The more expensive ones are stronger and easier to use. Go for a good one if you're going to be working on a lot of old equipment and can afford it.

I couldn't afford a good one, but then I thought "sod it" and bought one anyway. I've never regretted it and the puller has done some tough jobs. I've now got two pullers in the same family. They're made by Baldur (part of the Gedore group). Really nice tools.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

I bought a hydraulic puller years ago with just two legs & was lucky enough to find a steel box with various legs and two, three & four leg adaptors but minus the ram at an Enstone sale some time ago. £9.00 & well worth it!

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn