Re: Wolseley WD8

Two possible answers come to mind -

1) The flywheel key is lose and the flywheel is bumping on the sides of the key.

2) More likely given your description - the impulse mechanism on the magneto is stuck and is not disengaging when the engine gets up to speed. This would sound identical to the sharp click that emerges from the magneto when the engine is turned slowly - the TDC timing is perhaps diagnostic.

If number 2 applies, the magneto needs a good clean and lube job. If number 1 applies, whack the key back.

Good luck.

John

In message , kingsnavy writes

Dear All, > >Thought I would give my Wolseley a crank-up this evening, it was working and >sounded great last week. This evening it belched black smoke and ran rich. I >tinkered with the fuel pipe and cured this problem but I was aware of a loud >?clanking? noise coming from the engine. I removed the timing cover, no >apparent problem, I removed the crankcase cover, no apparent problem so I >removed the water hopper ? again no apparent problem. I turned the flywheel >and noticed two things, firstly the engine made the clanking sound at TDC >and secondly, it only made the sound in the normal direction of the engine, >turning the engine the other way and there was no sound. Further examination >and I could see the governor weights wobbling in synch with the sound, one >of the governor weights was slightly loose. Any idea what is the problem >please? I have not removed the tappet cover yet to see if there are any >problems there. > >Regards, >Ian. > > > >
Reply to
John Ambler

Problem solved - it turned out to be a loose flywheel key! One down to experience. Ian.

Reply to
kingsnavy