Serendipity

Funny old world, as I've remarked before.

Scratching through a nut and bolt box looking for the "right" nut, I found a bossed flange - like a magneto sprocket but without teeth - and turned it over wonderingly in my hands. I needed one of these for the ALCO, the connecting flange between the mainshaft and the dynamo spindle. Surely this wasn't going to fit ?

But it was. The centre hole was not tapered, but I soon fixed that and tapped the three holes already extant, fitted bolts with locknuts underneath, sawing the heads off to form drive studs. No rubber drive disk, of course, and my attempts to create one out of available materials was not a great success, but it does now work after a fashion and a properly made drive coupling disk will complete the engine & dynamo.

Just goes to prove that keeping boxes of junk - sorry, useful spares - about the place really does pay off!

Does anyone know where one might obtain the rubberised canvas that many engines use for couplings on direct drive devices?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a free frontal lobotomy!

Reply to
J K Siddorn

I have generally found conveyor belting works well. There is an incredibly large range available. I used to use loads for exhaust mountings on my early cars.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Also used in place of UJ's on some light vintage cars, FWD BSA springs to mind. A trawl round some likely looking owners clubs might prove useful. Alternatively use a solid disc with rubber (car heater hose) bushes round the drive pins.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

A few large disks of this live in a friend's shed - maybe 1/2" thick?. I can probably scrounge some - how big do you need it ?

Andy Dingley

Reply to
Lars Ericson