Shuttleworth

We've just got back from a lovely weekend at Shuttlewoth steam fair. Like a lot of staem fairs, they have a camping field for paying public. Despite the recent weather, it was glorious all weekend. The ground started a bit wet but dried nicely over the two days. The number of campers was less than normal, probably due to the recent weather. The engine enclosure seemed even more empty than usual with only a handful of exhibits. The other areas seemed as well supported as usual. There were 3 Vincent twins in the motorcycle section. Entry includes the aircraft museum which I normally visit though this year was an exception. Somehow I ran out of time. Watching the GP didn't help there. Shuttleworth put on a flying display for the event, this year a Hurricane perfomed for us. It's nice to see it take off in front of you, do a display then land again. After that, you can see it on the pad, still warm and ticking. It adds so much more to a static exhibit. I had an interesting chat with an owner of a steam tractor (I think that's the title). 5 tons with rear wheels about 4ft6" diameter. As I looked at it, the thing seemed very well restored, too well in fact. It was actually built in 2005. Yes, you can buy a new traction engine from the fellow I was chating to. I had to ask the question of cost. That one sells for about =A3110,000+VAT but road tax is free. I know a number of you don't like this event but I always have a good time and this year was no exception.

John

Reply to
John