Sleeve valve questions

Peter Brotherhood used them.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I have an 185 cc Single sleeve valve stationary engine! As far as my reasearch has gone over the last 5 or more years it doesn't appear to exist! there have been a few mentions that sincle cylinder engines were made and then mostly they talk about the Glasgow engines but they were a lot bigger than my little engine. Many people held Burt McCollom patients but so far nothing found on the stationary engine front yet i have one. It's a funny old world

Cheers

url:

Martin Madelin

Barr & Stroud of Glasgow might be worth a try....

See A to Z of British Stationary Engines.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Brain

Hi All I have just restored a Bristol Hercules 14 Cylinder sleeve valve engine to running order, can be seen please follow link

The main reason the radial engine went to sleeve valves was to improve volumetric efficiency. On a two bank radial engine it is difficult to install 4 valves per cylinder due to the position and driving of the cam which naturally would want to be each side the cylinder which also makes it very difficult to connect inlet and exhaust manifolds, trying to miss the four pushrods. This was why the Bristol Engine company went down the sleeve valve route. The normal oil consumption of my 38.7 Lt radial engine is 10-18 pints per hour and fuel 182 Gallons hour, I will leave you to draw your own conclusion if this is excessive.

url:

Brian Mills

At about 15:1, running 2 stroke oil makes more sense.

John

Reply to
John