Slightly OT: Major restoration tasks

Have snipped Steve's comment from another topic. Seems to me that this is an excellent viewpoint, & that many of us would like to know of major restorations not given much media time. There are often techniques to be learnt & inspiration to be gained from like-minded souls elsewhere.

Perhaps we could leave this heading as a sticky, & flag up interesting adventures. I've listed 3 that I've come across below .....

--------------------------

Shouldn't you be posting to uk.rec.aviation > I would hardly describe a flying Vulcan bombers as 'stationary'. > Regards Mike.

I think the common thread must be the enormous effort to get something that had been retired, and expected never to function again, back into commission. It just shows what can be done if you really are determined. I can't think of any country that does more of this than GB (and I realise this newsgroup is open to the world) - it may just inspire me to fix the petrol leak on my Stuart generator, in spite of the perishin' cold.

Examples :

  1. The restoration of the Kew Bridge Steam Engines -- enormous, iconic, lengthy
  2. The project to construct a full-size A4 locomotive. Gigantic task, difficult to comprehend how they will get the money, skill, time, facilities & energy to do it. I don't know current status
  3. Tom Reilly's at Kissimmee,Fl. Not 10 miles from the nightmare at Disney.. Abandon the family to the queues & the rides & head down to Kissimmee airport. Tom Reilly's is round the back of the airfield & is a mixture of museum & aircraft restoration workshop. I used to go there monthly, & watched the ground-up rebuild of Fw190, Corsair, B17 & many others.

Fantastic building, very non-American. Just an old hangar, walls jammed to the rafters with spares & bits of aeroplanes. Not a trace of order -- but you know that the owner can find anything he wants instantly ... just like my shed!!!

Aircraft hang from the ceiling, up the walls, & are on the ground. In cleared spaces, jigs are made & rebuilds happen. Whilst this goes on, folk take short courses there in aircraft restoration & play out their dreams for a week or two.

Even piles of interesting stuff out the back, including chunks of B17's, Skyrays etc. For those only keen on engines, there are many. You can see piles of P&W barrels & pistons, valves galore. Watch out for snakes & varmints ....

Possibly his most amazing challenge is a cube some 6 ft sq which is the bulk of a P-38 Lightning. It comprises most of the centre section of the aircraft, which was in civilian use with an Anti-icing research team (I've forgotten who, but may be UCLA).

Surprise, surprise -- it iced up & was totally destroyed in a crash. Looks as 'tho it's been 'thru a crusher at the scrapyard

-- but they will rebuild it....

In the US you must retain a specific % of original components to be able to class the airframe as a restoration, rather than replica. It's a high number -- possibly >80% -- so the metal restoration techniques will be a wonder to watch. Luckily the wings are substantially complete, which must help the %.

  1. Just remembered -- newest similar challenge locally is the P-38 Lightning from Llanbedr that's re-appeared off the beach at Harlech, in very shallow water. Once upon a time, this would have been at best recovered as a static display of tortured metal -- & there is a legitimate argument that this end is entirely appropriate.

Having so said, I rather suspect the recovery of a UK-based Lightning will cause the eyes of the restoration fanatics to open wide, & they will inspire us all...

  1. .... & the recovery & restoration of "Babs" from it's beach grave was another amazing job well done
6 ...... & there's funding to examine the possibility of lifting one of the sunken Sunderlands at Pembroke Dock .....

All of these projects face enormous engine rebuild challenges!

BTW, if this post screws up the line spacing, it's my last ever post!!

Colin

Reply to
Colin

You'll enjoy the pictures from Falcon Field in Phoenix then.

I'm just going through the 450+ pictures now, but the first 116 are up on the website on 7 menu pages:

The aircraft stuff starts at Menu Page 5, but the first 4 pages are interesting.

Page 7 is just about to go on, will be half an hour or so, then I have to get up on the roof of the house and find a leak....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Colin,

Glad to hear you share my sentiment, very kind of you to think my words worth quoting. One of the major restorations I have been watching with interest is the Welsh Highland Railway. I think it is quite staggering given it was closed in the 1930s, and the terrain it goes through is both mountains and the centre of Portmadoc. Plus the restoration and return to service of the first Garrett locomotive. OK, slightly OT as not stationary engines - but stations and engines - so close. Blow by blow accounts at

I wonder why Brits are such keen restorers - and did it really start with the demise of steam, or have we always done it ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:48:50 +0100, nickh finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swiggged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::

We've certainly been doing it since early last century - the Newcomen engine at (I think) Dartmouth was preserved in the

20's...................

Brian L Dominic

Web Site:

Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk

Reply to
Brian Dominic

I can add another idea, as a child I was always brought up to make and mend because my parents did not have much in the way of money. When my daughter came along and wanted a bike for instance I would buy second hand and repair and repaint it especially if I got it from the tip. I hate to see waste and look for other uses in anything before I throw it away. My hedge cutter is the old Orange coloured Black and Decker type, if it breaks I fix it, it still does a good job. The same goes for my engines etc I get great satisfaction in returning an engine back to life especially when I have to make something for it.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

I know just where you're coming from with the bike and hedge cutter. They are usefull things that are used but what about our engines? Do we use them to drive something or just look at them running? Engines are a means to an end, not an end in themselves. We've all got an engine or ten but how many of us put them to use? This is rather like the classic car and bike enthusiasts who trailer their vehicles everywhere.

John

Reply to
John

Engines are toys, nothing else.

We buy them to play with and show our friends, just like when we were kids.

There's no other logical reason at all to buy and restore/maintain an engine.

There is a fine borderline between toys and hobbies as well.....

Peter

Peter A Forbes

There is no fine borderline, they are one and the same :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Concur: we have engines for our own pleasure and restore and operate them in that context. Many of us take our engines to places where others of similar interests may gather so as to gaze upon each others toys. Although we pay lip service to the public and are more or less interested in talking to them as takes our personal fancy, I have long held that they are not the real raison detre.

In my Other Hobby we are just as bad and many of the senior members have "Bastard" toys. These are exquisitely made items of no use whatever

except to show your mates just to hear them say "Oh, you b-a-s-t-a-r-d!"

This helmet is some fifteen hundred quids worth ...........

I'm steeling myself to buy one of Patrik Barta's swords

Why not? It's about the same as a hit & miss Amanco & a good deal more portable!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim,

No problem with defining everything from a model engine to a complete railway as toys, but why do the British go for old stuff ? I bet there are more preserved steam railways in Britain than in the whole of Europe put together, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same applies for traction engines, old car, old motorbikes, and stationary engines (and its a WAY longer list than that). It strikes me that in most countries people who want a toy buy a new one, not a 50 year old one that will take half their life to get in working condition. If they want a yacht they buy a new one, and not restore a 1920s sailing smack.

I am part of all this, I admit, but I still don't know where it comes from. My colleagues at work think I am a bit cranky - and one of my friends told me I was turning into Fred Dibner - which I took as a compliment - though I am not sure it was intended that way. People are even restoring FS1E mopeds now - reminiscing about the 1970s.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Oh dear, it looks like I'm out on a limb again but I've little interest in things that are useless. Three of my engines can generate electricity and are used when the need arises. I have a Petter A1 which (as yet) drives nothing and so is rarely run. Some years ago I fancied owning a tractor. I picked up a Fergie 20 as it was a) cheap and b) could be used with attachments etc. so was useful. I've a couple of classic cars that I enjoy driving when they're not in bits. Again, they're used to go places, not just for show. The same applies to my motorcycle. I admire things that don't work, Internal Fire is full of them and I am in awe of the work Paul's put into the place, but I don't want to own one. Give me toys that I can play with anyday. An interesting car/bike/ tractor/etc is far better in use than watching it just ticking over anyday. Stationary engines are functional things built to work, not to look pretty. I'm reminded of this every time I suggest painting one. Make them work as they should and use them, even if it's only occasionally. The most ludicrous thing I heard of was when a stationary engine club meeting was cancelled because of a power cut! What better excuse could anyone want to show/use an engine?

John

Reply to
John

It's been pointed out to me off list that this could be read another way. I want to correct any possibility of this. As I hope you all realise, What I should have refered to is engines whose output is not used. Having visited IF many times and helped Paul and Hazel in a small way, I have nothing but admiration for the work they do. Their engines are wonderful pieces of machinery that I enjoy seeing running. I still don't want to own one though.

As the punchline says, if my remarks can be taken two ways and one causes offence, I meant it the other way.

John

Reply to
John

Oh good lord, please tell me that you're joking! I understood exactly what you wanted to say and I certainly don't have the brains of a rocket scientist - what's up with folk these days?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I'm with you John, I actually enjoy using old kit whether it's the wife's MGB or my old tractors and I also appreciate the productivity of the new 250kW Valtra I'm using atm.

I look forward to operating a staionary engine and stone crusher in anger too!

Andrew Heggie

Reply to
AJH