Tensile Strengh

All,

Does anyone have details of the Tensile strength of EN1A Leaded free-cutting steel? It is not listed on my steel list.

In TSI please !

Thanks

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

Reply to
Chris Bedo

Is this the grade once (might still be!) called "Leadloy"? It was used extensively for manufacturing valve seats for air compressors. I used to churn them out of a Ward 2C with an air chuck in just under 2 minutes from bar. It still rusted, but was a lot softer than mild steel. Its great claim to fame was that it would readily deform to a ball impact and lightly sprung ball valves would seat on their own within a few minutes.

So the empirical answer is "not very high"! if that helps at all Chris ;o))

regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Chris,

Try this page and one of my books if I read it right says 28 - 33 tons/sq in You could change it by heatreatment.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

And here as well

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

We are all hoping to hear that the S type has run soon :-) but please don't make a hot tube from EN1A. It will scale and wilt in a few hours running..... ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

No such Joys yet on the M type sadly... I think we will have another go this eve. We followed the bumping against compression method but no joy.

Thanks all for the EN1a replies, I think it will actually be a little lower than ordinary EN1a thanks to the lead. Nothing to do with the Petter this time, just cant source the steel I need with any decent tensile strengh.

Thanks all,

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk

Reply to
Chris Bedo

When I used to attend a hobby engineering nightclass at a local college, they used leaded MS almost exclusively, because of its free cutting characteristic. The supervisor advised me not to use it for any situation where it would under tension, like studs or screws, because of its stretchiness.

I assume you mean the S type not M type. Don't feel too downhearted about the starting problem, the bumping against compression method has also eluded me so far, despite being tutored in it by three of "them as knows". I may be forced into dragging it to a rally for a hands on demonstration. Seeing Paul start the Crossley VO at Internal Fire with such little effort shows that it can be done easily with semidiesels - just not easily by me! Mine starts quite readily with the handle.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

I think you'll find that your books are referring to non leaded EN1A if they give a figure of 28-33 tons/sq/inch..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Have you tried Parker Steel - in Canterbury I seem to remember - probably have to buy a full 10ft length, but should be able to supply any type of high tensile or tool steel.

Do you have a chart of all the different types and specification of steels available from stockholders?

Hope everybody's still having a good break.

Reply to
john. ambler

starting problem, the bumping against

three of "them as knows". I may be

start the Crossley VO at Internal Fire with

not easily by me! Mine starts quite readily

Thanks Arthur, it must be something in my method. We dont have a starting boss at present so the handle is out, one is currently being made. Perhaps then we will have more joy!

John,

I have tried Parkers thanks, they are just down the road from me, it is in fact Parkers who have the size only in EN1a Leaded.

I may have found a source though....

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

Reply to