New Books

We had a friend over from California this week, who is also a friend of Tim & Sally in San Jose, so a half-suitcase of books came over with him, which we collected at Winnersh this afternoon on the way back from Salisbury (again)

Not all are engine-related, but three may be of interest:

Diesel Engine Catalog 1949 Volume 14. Nice period snapshot of the new and the fading away in the USA industry. Venn-Severin were there, and a lot of names that are long gone now. Also a company selling AV1 and AV2 engines under their own name, Series 1 engines as well!

Link-belt Silent Chain, copyright 1914, nice book of chain systems and fittings for engines, line-shafting etc etc. Might be able to make up a section on the website for some of the stuff in this book.

Metals & Alloys Data Book. S.L. Hoyt 1943. A very comprehensive book which came with another: Mechanical Properties of Metals and Alloys in the same ebay deal. The author's name caught my eye originally, I wonder if he is in any way related to Hoyts Metals?

A large Slick aircraft magneto service folder also came over, but that is all aero stuff, not stationary.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

A new new book I'm particularly enjoying is the history of Southern Cross in Oz. There earliest offerings were based on a Victoria and an unknown (but French looking) engine. I believe David Edgington has a few copies left if any spouses are stuck for a pressie :-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven