Gas bottle needed.

Aside from the obvious reply, does anyone have any idea where one might get a BOC acetylene bottle changed in the Bristol area?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Have you tried asking BOC or isn't the bottle on their rental list? BOC are very tight on their records these days. They know exactly how many bottles of each gas and the sizes each customer has on rental. Assuming it's a non-rental bottle, you will need to find someone who has an identical bottle. What size do you want? Have you tried the BOC website?

John

Reply to
John Manders

This used to be the case but BOC woke up to the DIY market in the late 70's and developed the portapac. There are 2 bottle sizes for that. I have the larger size. The refill costs are about the same as the smaller ones but the rental is more. I've just had the annual invoice for £85.18. Their customer help line is 0800 111333. I have found them very helpful in the past. There is also the web site at

John

Reply to
John Manders

likewise s/acetylene/oxygen/

There's a pair of acetylenes here, if you just need to borrow a bit of gas. One's a PortaPak, so it'll go in a car. I never use the things these days - only heat I seem to use lately is the oxypropane.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Does anyone know how BOC / the Law stand on using Oxy/Acetylene 'at home'. We use the gas endlessly where we keep the roller and it would be great to have a source at home. However, I assume BOC would not rent bottles to just anyone ?

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk

Reply to
Chris Bedo

I spoke to BOC at their head office, and the lady I spoke to said that BOC will hire equipment to anyone, there is a standard price list which the BOC centres have to adhere to, but you have to open an account with BOC, there is no facility to roll up, pay cash and walk away with cylinders etc.

As far as home insurance goes, there is a standard duty of care requirement in most insurer's policies, but our own broker felt that as long as normal bottled gas precautions were taken, there would be no problem. I have asked him to enquire officially and get a definitive answer.

As more people get involved with car repairs etc at home, the industry seems to recognise that there is a market for gases at home, and within reason they seem relaxed about it, subject to safety concerns etc., which is normal.

BOC have a large website at:

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Yes, but you have to do paperwork for an account. No big deal, but not cheap.

There's also the question of transporting the bottles. This is very site-dependent and inconsistent. Most sites are a little sniffy but look the other way if you try to move big cylinders in a small vehicle. I've had some get _really_ stroppy and insist on the correct diamonds on the outside of the vehicle, cylinders tied down etc.

The set I have from BOC is a Porta-Pak, with the tallest cylinders that fit the small trolley. These are about twice the usual Porta-pak volume, but cost about the same. They're also liftable and will go in the back of a non-estate car without trouble,

I also have a full-size set, currently out of oxygen, which isn't on my account. I ought to sort a means of getting this cylinder refilled. BOC will no doubt be sniffy about this, but as I acquired the cylinders by carrying them out of an abandoned workshop before the local y00f started playing with them, I think I've done them a favour anyway.

Reply to
Andy Dingley