Baker's No 3

I've finally run out of Baker's Soldering Fluid. I can't find any in Bristol - I've found it on the web easily enough, but am loath to pay £6.00 carriage.

Can anyone suggest somewhere in the Bristol area that carries it? I've tried all the obvious places.

regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Axminster Power Tools.

250ml at =A310.46 delivered. That includes P&P at =A33.95 (=3D about 13.7 miles from home).

The word "tight" comes to mind :-)

BTW, the P&P stays the same regardless of quantity.

John

Reply to
John

Kim Try Cromwell Tools

St. Vincent's Trading Estate Feeder Road Bristol BS2 0UY UK

Listed on its website

125ml £4.50 250ml £6.38 500ml £10.99 inc vat

Paul.

Kim Siddorn wrote:

Axminster Power Tools.

250ml at £10.46 delivered. That includes P&P at £3.95 (= about 13.7 miles from home).

The word "tight" comes to mind :-)

BTW, the P&P stays the same regardless of quantity.

John

Reply to
Paul Swindell

Exactly what I needed Paul, thanks ;o))

Me, tight? I'm not to tell you that I bathe in PlusGas ..............

regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

IIRC my late father used to make his own by dropping bits of granulated zinc into dilute hydrochloric acid until it stopped fizzing.

John

Reply to
John Nice

That's the one, so did mine, He said it was called 'killed spirits' IIRC.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I didn't know it was killed with zinc but my dad called it "killed spirit of salts".

Andrew Heggie

Reply to
AJH

The Plumb Centre in Northwich has it on the shelf - I'd guess that most Plumb Centres throughout the country would have it too, or at least order it for you.

Reply to
Julian

Probably the engineering supplier in Bath (alongside Green Park station). Good place for all sorts of oddball stuff and a lot less precious than the model engineering crowd.

Most decent plumbers' merchant will still have it (albeit dusty). These days it comes in a plastic bottle too, so the bottom doesn't rust out of the tin!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks to all for their help. Plumbase don't keep it anymore - first stop that was ;o))

A quick blat across town this afternoon on the XBR - so good at herding traffic - to Cromwells. There I paid less than a tenner for 500mls of Baker's No3.

As it is in a plastic bottle & not a tin, it won't silently rot the tin out & soak into the floor in a pile of white crystals. This to be discovered at

7.30pm on a Sunday when you come in from a ride with no front brake & work tomorrow. Ensues a battle with recalcitrant Bowden inner, Fluxite and solder wire resulting in a nasty mess which you promptly do again when a new tin of Baker's arrives!

500mls might well see me out!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn