Thornycroft engine help request

This is from the Old Engine list but I thought perhaps someone here had info on the subject. see

Thornycroft engine was made in the mid thirties and is supposed to have been originally installed in one of the Queen mary's lifeboats. It now belongs to Vista Antique Gas and Steam Museaum and they acquired it from the San Diego Maritme Museum.

Now I have several questions - what is the method to bleed the air out of the injectors? There is a compression release on the side of the valve cover but there also seem to be a pair of "extra" compression releases. At least that seems to be the function of the two screw in/out handles directly below the injectors. What are these for? What is the starting procedure?

How about it you Brits and Aussies, can anyone help me out a little?

Jim and Diane Kirkes Hemet, California U.S.A. snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net ______________________________________________________________

Reply to
Dave Croft

The standard method for most diesel engines is to crack open the pipe connection SLIGHTLY at each injector in turn and crank until fuel is seen to leak out.

Sorry no idea on the rest below.

Reply to
crn

I have responded to Jim on the oldengine.org mailing list.

The engine is an RJ/2, 18bhp max and they were Board of Trade approved for lifeboats, Thorneycroft did supply them to Cunard for the two 'Queens'. Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes