Petter AVA2 help

Hi all, I have a Lister twin diesel which starts up very easily, a few turns
of the handle and she fires up, i also have a Petter AVA2 which is an utter
pig to start, just as you think its about to fire up your knackered and have
to stop cranking, what i would really like is for the Petter to start as
easily as the Lister, could someone please send me a checklist of things i
should be renewing/cleaning/checking etc on the Petter ?
Much obliged
Reply to
sam
Sounds to me as though the AVA is well worn whilst the Lister is still in good order. Things to check are compression, injection timing, and condition of the fuel pump and injectors. A service of the injectors can often make a difference. The last Petter AVA I had was so worn it would only start if I poured a cup full of oil down the air inlet to give it a bit of compression - NOT recommended but enough to make an otherwise worthless dumper mobile ;-) If you're desparate and don't want to spend a lot of money on the engine a can of easy-start will serve as a short term fix.
Regards
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden
If it is a Series I engine then they were indeed pigs to start, rectified in the Series II engines by direct injection instead of indirect and bowl-in-piston combustion chamber.
Series I engines had horizontal injectors, series II had them inclined downwards at about 45 degrees.
There are all sorts of things to check with diesels, and I seem to remember that the AV's had an oil injection cup on the rocker cover, there was no excess fuel device like the Listers had.
Peter
Reply to
Peter A Forbes
bowl-in-piston
AVA's had a hinged detent peg on the rack which allowed excess fuelling for starting in a similar manner to a Lister CS or CD. They're still a pig though if they are slightly below top notch condition.
Regards
Dan
Reply to
Dan Howden