Tilford Rural life museum

Gentlemen,

Yesterday I took a ride down to Southampton to collect a Lister J I had bought off EBay. I met a delightful gentleman who like me collects Listers. He has not been doing it for long, couple of years, but he has a very nice collection and not run of the mill engines either for instance he has another J, a K to restore and one which he kindly allowed me to photograph to show you lot. Its an H and a beautiful job he has made too. He does not show them but enjoys getting them back to running condition for himself.

I have put a couple of pictures of his engine at the beginning of my latest travels. The night before my trip I looked in old glory to see if there was somewhere close to my route that I could visit on my return home, I found Tilford Rural life Museum which if you have not been to you must visit. It was a stationary Engine Weekend and whilst it was down in exhibitors there was still a good selection to look at and the museum has plenty to see also. To save me boring you with my blurb I took over a hundred pictures covering almost everything. I forgot to add, the gentleman I met is a builder, he is not an engineer and has just bought himself a myford lathe and is now teaching himself to do that as well.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

If anybody wants to give me a Hydraulic lifter as a present then thank you :-)) I have just used my windy handle engine lift to take out the J from the back of my van and I am Knackered.

If any of you have a Lister J then can I have some pictures and dimensions of the Mag bracket or even a mag bracket. I also need the mag gear or dimensions and how many teeth please.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Martin my J Type uses a 15 tooth sprocket, it'll be the same as fitted to your L. I may have a spare mag bracket around the place i'll have a look for it at the weekend

hth Regards Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

The cam gear is larger is that correct.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Martin, The cam sproket is bigger, mine has 30 teeth. but from the looks of your J it has the early crankcase so it may be different

Gary M

Reply to
gary millward

Martin

I have a 1916 J type, it has a flick mag, but if you want I can remove the mag bracket and take some pictures for you and measure some dimensions.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

My large sprocket I think is the same as yours.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Thanks Bob that would be nice of you, still look for the spare one Gary :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

Big Snip

bracket and take some pictures for you and measure

Hi Martin, I used to own a 1913 Lister L Serial No 8503. This had a Bosch trip mag but at the start of the first world war Lister changed the mag to a British trip mag. These early engines had a brass ventilation cover on the side of the crankcase. (Like a D with the straight part underneath) HTH

Reply to
Dave Croft

I was under the impression that although Lister changed from the Bosch to the ML type flick mag at the outset of war, Engines were still being sold with the Bosch type mag as late as 1916/17, due to Lister fitting whatever mag they had available in their stores at the time. My engine was missing a mag when I bouhgt it but David Edginton advised that it would most likely have been fitted with a Bosch, despite it been 1916, thus supporting this idea.

Martin, I will take some pictures and measurements for you first thing in the morning and e-mail them to you when I get a chance.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob