Milton Keynes Museum of Rural Life

Gentlemen,

I spent last Sunday in glorious sunshine at the above Museum with two of my exhibits, as always plenty to look at. In particular look at the Sherpley car and the Tatra, the Sherpley is best described as a kit car with a difference (read his sheet ) and the Tatra is a Czech built car with a small twist, it has a 3.5 litre air-cooled V8 in the rear. The car heating should it be needed is via two petrol heaters, one in the front and one in the rear. Oh and there were a load of Hartops as well.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

campingstoveman

Charles Hamilton

You might be amazed to hear that there was a Tatra racing at the Goodwood revival festival last weekend in the historic saloon car class (1955 to 1959 class as I recall). Not only was I stunned to see it made the entire race distance without spinning off the track or overheating the air-cooled engine, but it was actually no slug. I couldn't believe it could be made to get around a race track, let alone compete with Jags, A35s and the like.

I am still in shock. Steve

Reply to
Steve

That is indeed extraordinary. I believe during the war the big Tatra saloons were dubbed 'the Czech secret weapon' as so many commandeered by German officers promptly dispatched their occupants backwards into the scenery!

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

I've spent many a happy weekend at the MK Museum with the Old Lawnmower Club.

Our Annual Rally is held there each May .... It's a great weekend with some great company and very interesting exhibits.

I guess you've all seen the big Ruston in the main hall?

Reply to
NigeyNoo

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Nick H saying something like:

There was an order issued by HQ forbidding German officers from using them at all, after several were killed. Poetic justice, automotively.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon