Trailer Mods

The trailer has covered nearly 20,000 miles since we built it, back in the late

1990's, and despite three trips to Spain and many more to Scotland and other parts of the UK it has never let us down and has given us excellent service.

As we are both getting on a bit, and our company loads are getting heavier per item, we have decided to have a go at fitting an hydraulic jib onto the trailer, mainly for enabling loading of items which cannot be wheeled on, but also to put a bit more noseweight on the front as it is broadly neutral when empty and the coupling rattles.

A suitable item for hacking about came up tonight:

and it also came fairly cheaply. The other option was to fabricate a post and jib and fit a single-acting ram with a taillift hydraulic power pack to power it, both of which we have on the shelf for such an eventuality. The ram is rated at 2.8tonnes @ 2000psi, quite enough for an engine hoist.

We will be looking at some reinforcing around the mounting of the crane post, and it will have to be made to swivel as well, plus we will need a couple of stabiliser legs to stop the trailer tilting over with a heavy load out on the jib.

Pictures will be taken and posted on the website as it progresses, but first we have to go to Saxmundham to collect the beastie!

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Not that long ago I used two ballast lifts to assemble a machine of ours, handy bits of kit.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman