TS3

I'm writing up the TS3, the flat six Uniflow engine, NOT the air cooled Lister triple OHV. I need about thirty words or so of anecdote to finish it off - can anyone help?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Charles Hamilton

In message , Charles Hamilton writes

Somewhere, I have a video of a TS3-fitted tractor, a Fordson IIRC but I'm not sure. If I get the tuits, I'll try and look it out.

I took the video at the end-of-May Bank Holiday rally at Dumfries, in

1999 or 2000, again IIRC. It was indeed very loud!
Reply to
Andrew Marshall

I saw a Reliant 3 wheeler fitted with a TS3 - "Throbbin' Robin" - taking part in a tractor pull at Tallington in the early 90's. Incredibly noisy and surprisingly effective!

Reply to
Richard Green

I can well imagine. Ah, Tallington - 'twas a pity that that one ended. Geoff and I used to take the Morris truck there. Quite a reasonable engine line most years too, IIRC.

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

When I was a kid in Liverpool ('60s/'70s), I'm sure that Tate & Lyle (sugar refinery) had some Scammell 3 wheeler (?) artic tractors (like a Mechanical Horse, only bigger) that used the TS3 (I was familiar with the TS3 noise from the fleet of Commers that some FOTF had) Up the hill from the docks they had quite a bark on them. Can't find a ref for these things though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

Nope, bigger! Much bigger!

They were almost certainly specials for Tate & Lyle, and they didn't travel more than a mile or two - just up the hill from the docks to the refinery. This was short, steep and took a good deal of power, hence the TS3. They kept their steam wagons for quite some time too, as they had better torque than older petrol wagons.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

When I first came to this area (mid sixties) Cowburn & Cowpar still had one or two chain-drive Scammell units running up & down the A56, long bonnet jobs with a thermometer on top of the radiator. Almost certainly Gardner engines, though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L

Not the scarab because that was the little artic that was used for local deliveries by british rail wasn't it? I remember one delivering to our house and being amazed that it nearly turned in its own length to go, rather than reverse. It used its own coupling which differed from the fifth wheel type used on hgvs.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Reply to