Very OT - big estate wanted!

Interesting - I always thought it was the other way around (the early

3500's only got the slushbox - with the 3500S and manual 'box coming later). I've been out of messing around with them for around a decade though, and it's funny how the brain forgets the details.

Does yours have the metal grille? I always thought those a lot nicer than the plastic ones (if I remember right, some cars that were technically series ones still got the plastic)

Had a friend once with a 2000TC and that was a seriously nice car - it had been given a ground-up restoration and had the lap-straps, seats with the 'ET' headrests etc. Lovely stuff (although always a bit of a pig to start in Winter - but it did seem to appreciate being talked to nicely :-)

Oh, I agree it's less effort if just doing economical driving - I just like having manuals for those fun moments down twisty lanes! I don't like the "unpredictability" of auto boxes either - I had a rental once where the shock of transmission shift was quite pronounced, and it made for driving in Winter conditions rather interesting.

'course I have a serious hankering after a Jensen FF, and I'd have to bite the bullet then and live with an auto 'box as they never did make them with manual...

Mine started out limited at first (with Footman James) but they upped it to unlimited one year at renewal time without my asking - I don't know if it was some sort of loyalty bonus or what. Probably could have shopped around and got a cheaper deal elsewhere, but the premium was so small compared to a non-classic car and the people there nice to deal with that I could never be bothered.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Jules, You are correct my brain was in idle when my hands typed it :-)) Mine has the aluminium grill and for 1969 only no rear door opening quarter light windows. I had a MK1 3 litre auto Capri many moons and sunsets ago and one day I got stuck in snow and ice in the middle of nowhere so I opened the bonnet increased the tick over slightly and put it in drive, I then walked to the back of the car and bounced up and down on the rear bumper. It started to move and I then had the problem of getting back in the car on the ice but I got it going again :-))

Reply to
campingstoveman

You wouldn't want a manual box IMHO with an FF. I've an Interceptor three with a stroked (500cid) big block Chrysler in it and they mate up brilliantly with the torqueflite transmission. I have had the box modified with 4 planet gear set and shift improver mods - gets rid of the horrid slurring between gears that robs power and heats the fluid.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I don't even know if there was much around back then in terms of manual boxes (& clutch) that would mate readily to that engine and take that kind of power. I think Ford offered a 4-speed manual* around that timeframe, but I'm not sure about Chrysler. Being on this side of the Pond I see lots of older vehicles with those V8s in, but I've only ever seen them in cars with 'auto boxes.

I'd always assumed the 'auto-only option was due to the lack of a suitable manual 'box setup, not because there was anything in the design which required it.

  • I think I read somewhere that it was truly awful, too.

Consider me jealous :-)

JOOI what's the dash like on yours? I've seen photos of some with nice wood-veneered dashes, but others where they'd lost the wood; I don't know if that was a change introduced in later cars to reduce costs, or the wood was always an optional extra, or indeed if some owners have fitted them after the fact and they were never original at all.

There aren't any FFs that I'm aware of this side of the Atlantic, although I'm sure there are one or two. I think Interceptors can be found (although doubtless not easily!) and would at least give me the steering wheel on the correct side for here, but I quite like unusual technology, so the FF really appeals.

I was amused to see what was almost certainly an Interceptor in a US cartoon a few months back...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I do think that a manual box could be had - did not the Challenger or Charger have it as an option? In the UK quite a few Jensens have been fitted with the later Chrysler 4 speed auto or gear vendors overdrive unit. One of the problems is that the engine (as standard) spins too fast at 70-80mph on the motorway, gulping petrol and sounding too busy. Doesn't really bother me because my car is just used as a toy and never gets long trips - can't afford it when 8mpg can be had easily!

There's no wood on mine, just leather interior. All the gauges dials and knobs are standard stuff as found on Jags etc of the period. Towards the end of production, when Jensen were bust, they saved wherever they could. For instance my alloy wheels have some grey paint on them which is just primer - the top coat was omitted. I'm sure stuff like the dash suffered similarly - but I'm no expert on these sorts of things, just big block tuning and suspension/drivetrain work.

There are a few Jensens around the world, I think the States was their biggest export market. If you really are intersted then joining the Jensen Owners Club (and wandering over to their forum) is recommended, there's a few Statside owners on it I think. The thing about the FF is you get a longer wheelbase car to make way for all that extra clunking weight of the FF drivetrain, how much it contributes is pretty doubtful IMHO - unless you have a fondness for planting the throttle around wet bends :-) I much prefer the Interceptor with it's LSD rear axle and seat of the pants fun - ready to tip you into the first hedge if you don't show it respect!

Julian

Reply to
Julian

Hmm, I'm not sure... that has tickled a memory about the cars used in Vanishing Point though, as I think one of those (they used several in filming) may have been a manual. Might have to do some digging when I get a few mins...

I can relate to that - my old truck's a 4-litre but with a 3-speed manual (column-shift), so it's thirsty and loud at modern road speeds... I'm keeping my eye out for an aftermarket overdrive unit that I can fit, but no luck so far.

8? As good as that? :-)

Yes, I thought I recognised some of the switches as being the same that Jags and Stags of the time used! Personally I'm a big fan of woodern dashboards though (and the more chrome switches and dial the better ;)

Heh, lots of UK makers seemed to go that way, too. I like the way they're all a little bit different from each other, though.

I'm not sure if they ever offered the FF or not... must find out. I know they couldn't do conversions to LHD because of the drivetrain layout, but I suppose they may still have sold a few new in the US in RHD form. I think they only made a few hundred of them, though.

Not a bad idea...

:-) I've heard it wasn't bad, if a bit agricultural. Not sure how much weight it added. I just like quirky mechanical stuff. Does the Interceptor have ABS, or was that on the FF only?

Hmm, fond memories of owning a basket-case* old Mk1 Ford Escort with a tricked-out engine when I lived in NZ - that thing was the most fun car I've ever had, purely for the way you could get it into trouble and get it back out again so easily. Proof that the cheaper end of the spectrum can be just as enjoyable as the more expensive...

  • I kid you not. It was a real sieve on wheels.

Bit tail-happy, is it? :-)

(apologies to everyone else for all the OT!)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules