ML7 - Fiat Tempra Estate

Does anyone know if an ML7 with standard Myford stand will fit in the back of a Fiat Tempra Estate?

If not, does anyone know of a cheap place to hire a Transit van near Southampton?

Reply to
Mike

Wilf Baker

I reckon it's a bit high to wangle through the tailgate, even with the bumper down. Ask the guy to measure up the cabinet alone 'cos I think you'd struggle even with the lathe separated. Weight would be fine tho'. Any van ought to do it - no need for a tranny.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@boltblue.com John Lloyd - Cymru/Wales

John.LloydUNSPAM

Ask John S to lend you his Reliant

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Does the driver want to be able to get in as well?

*NB* when you have the lathe with as much taken off as possible, be careful if tilting it diagonally if there is oil in the gearbox!

(Thereby hangs a tale!)

Reply to
Airy R.Bean

I haven't got a Tempra but think that you should have no problems. The stand is approximately 15" deep by 36" high by 37" long for a short be ML7 and proportionately longer for a long bed. Lathe and stand fit in a Peugeot 405 estate with room to spare. You may be advised to strip off the belt guard and motor base with the motor. This will make the lathe a bit more carry-able.

HTH

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

To play devil's advocate, but surely the weight is the problem, not the size? What is the maximum permissable weight that the car is designed to carry? the fact it "fits" is probably immaterial.

MY personal worry would be braking hard (and that is usually outside the drivers control)and getting an ML7 around the back of the head?

PP

Reply to
Polo Player

It fitted, and the car has ties points for restraining loads. One ML7 weighs much less that the 4 people who were not in the car!

Reply to
Mike

The approximate weight of an ML7 with motor and stand is 320lb. add about more for tools and chucks and you are around the weight of a couple of adult passengers and luggage.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

As I said I was playing devil's advocate, but I'll bet that the engineers at Fiat never envisaged a 320lb lathe being tied down in the rear of their car?

Reply to
Polo Player

In article , Mike writes

I got one in the back of an Astra hatchback once (I took it off the stand so they would both fit in).

So if it doesn't fit in your estate, I'd ask Fiat for your money back! ;^)

Reply to
Nigel Eaton

Don't knock Fiat, many many years ago I collected my,then brand new, ML7 in a Fiat 500. Wide doors, front seat removed, no problem.

Donald, South Uist

Reply to
Donald