Advice on DCC

Hi Fred, don't let us put you off - we like to argue but you don't have to. Model railways can still be done cheaply, in fact per average income it is far cheaper than it was 50 years ago.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Especially if you stick to DC. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

It's only as complicated and expensive as you choose to make it. If you wanted to recreate your 'old' layout, for instance, it should be no more difficult or expensive to do so now than it was 'back in the day'.

Reply to
BAC

How do you find out before buying DC equipment? You ask questions. It's no different with DCC. A DC system without a CDU would be just as effective (or not) as DCC system with no CDU.

Again, it's not a DC v. DCC issue.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Where should I ask questions? How will I know if I've got a sensible answer until item xyz is in my hands? I know there are some knowledgable individuals and retailers out there but there are also some questionable ones.

We were discussing accessory control decoders (?)

I have a collection of H&M, Tenshodo, Peco of various ages from 2010 back to the plastic framed type and various unnamed point motors. These have quite happily operated my turnouts since the late 1960s. If one has to chose a decoder specifically for high current or if I have to throw away assorted of my still working point motors then it is a DC vs DCC issue.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Fred -

If you are in WA you could do a lot worse than get in touch with Richard Johnson at DCC Concepts. His website is a mine of useful information on DCC and other things too. Look at

You might also consider joining the British Railway Modellers of Australia - website is at

(Disclaimer - I am the Sydney area rep for BRMA).

Reply to
John Nuttall