Ash

I have seen several photos where ash from Steam locos is dumped on the ground around the ash pits and various other places in steam loco depots. What happened to this ash? I presume it must have been taken away at some point otherwise huge mountains of the stuff would have built up at busy depots, at least until it blew away!

So was it shovelled into some sort of wagon (Rail or road) and taken elsewhere or would it have been left around to become trodden into the general "muck" that covered a steam shed floor.

Reply to
piemanlarger

My recollection is that some would have been used for paths, ballast in the yard, filling muddy holes, most was sent off to be made into 'breeze-blocks'

- dark grey building blocks made from ash and cement, some would be incorporated into 'tarmac' roads etc.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Some companies- the LNER in particular- liked to use it as ballast on their running lines.

It is still visible on many of the more lightly used branch lines today. Witness Bridlington to Scarboro' in sections. (Park near Brid. cricket club and cross the tracks via the foot crossing into town near Brid Quay- marvellous!!)

Denz. A frustrated PWay enthusiast. :-)

'breeze-blocks'

Reply to
Denzil McThickenthrash