Tight Street Running

*ROFL* 10 seconds after the train has passed, you wouldn't even know there was a rail line there.
Reply to
Alan in Darwin

In message , Alan in Darwin writes

Good thing it's not third-rail electrified.

BTW, this has been posted several times in the last fortnight to uk.railway

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

garden

It looks like the same train that Tim Stewart from World Vision, uses in his commercial. At times.

Reply to
eridge1

The best street running video I've ever seen was a clip I had downloaded, and burned onto a CD someplace of a UP train with a SD-40 pulling a string of hoppers and stopping at traffic lights next to and behind cars. The train is long enough that it can be seen snaking around a corner behind the loco, and it's just really strange. I looked on Youtube, and couldn't find it, but I'm sure someone can find it someplace. Everyone I showed it to laughed at it. I don't think I would be really happy to see an SD-40 coming up behind me when I'm stopped at a light.

I think it was taped in Sacramento, CA.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

I know this isn't it but...

Big Rich Soprano

That was sort of interesting. Did the photographer never see a red flashing light before?

There is a DVD called Street Running.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

"BDK" wrote

Think how you'd feel if you were riding a motorcycle!

Gives a whole new meaning to the term "lane-splitting"!

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

"Big Rich Soprano" wrote

That looks remarkably like what we would call a USA Class Tank of SR wartime fame. OK, the bunker has been cut down a bit but otherwise still the same basic design.

Elliott

Reply to
Elliott Cowton

I understand what you mean. Watching some Drum & Bugle Corps shows, if there is some sort of siren or bell being played it's inevitable that the camera will be on one of them instead of the action...

I have seen it...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

You are right. The bunkers were extended when the Southern Railway (UK) bought the locomotives after WII.

Regards

Tony Cane Secretary World War Two Railway Study Group

Reply to
t.cane

That wasn't bad, but no, it wasn't it.

Thanks anyway..

BDK

Reply to
BDK

An SD-40 on the street might shock some of the more clueless drivers into hanging up their phones, stop messing with their make up/drink/food and into paying attention.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

I'm surprised how much street running there is in the US. I think the most famous is probably the South Shore in Michigan City on its' run from Chicago to South Bend. Originally an Interurban (and still carrying passengers) but it also carries coal trains to and from the steel mills in the area. Put Michigan City into the youtube search and you'll find some examples.

I also came across street running in Fort Collins (between Denver and Cheyenne) a few years ago. The Metra Electric route to 93rd St doesn't quite run in the street (well, the bits I've seen) but it's a close run thing as it runs down the median on an unfenced residential road. For many years there was a railway track along the San Francisco Embarcadero (where the F line streetcars now run).

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Interesting clip, and it shows just how difficult it is to shoot steady footage from horseback.

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

I get "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."

Reply to
Rick Jones

The South Shore Line between Chicago and South Bend, Indiana, originally an interurban streetcar line, had street running of full-sized electric multiple unit trains in South Bend prior to 1970; some street running of passenger and freight trains still occurs in Michigan City. Some time in the 1980s I saw a rush-hour commuter train from Chicago formed of diesel-hauled Metra gallery cars running on-street in Michigan City.

I have some photos of the South Shore Line taken in 1968 at

MartinS

I remember seeing some of that when I was a little kid. We went to dinner at a friend of my dad's once, and saw some electric MU cars go by at a crossing. It was maybe 63 or so.

One of my earliest memories of Chicago was seeing steam locos being taken to the scrapyards in long strings. Lots and lots of N&W locos passing by my window as the NYC train I was in neared Chicago. 1959 or

60 I guess. I sure wish I had a camcorder back then. I used to have a couple of blurry pics of it, taken with a crappy camera my grandmother had given me. They were taken, along with most of the stuff that could be easily carried out when someone broke into my place. They stole some really weird stuff, silverware, money from my wallet, the box of old pics, some LPs and cassettes, and my can opener.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Got removed for violation of terms of service... WTF?

Reply to
Paul Johnson

"BDK" wrote

Uh, to the best of my knowledge, bikers aren't prone to doing those things while riding.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling