Tight Street Running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSSYdfsKYWc

*ROFL* 10 seconds after the train has passed, you wouldn't even know there was a rail line there.

Good thing it's not third-rail electrified.
BTW, this has been posted several times in the last fortnight to uk.railway

--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden

It looks like the same train that Tim Stewart from World Vision, uses in his commercial. At times.

The best street running video I've ever seen was a clip I had downloaded, and burned onto a CD someplace of a UP train with a SD-40 pulling a string of hoppers and stopping at traffic lights next to and behind cars. The train is long enough that it can be seen snaking around a corner behind the loco, and it's just really strange. I looked on Youtube, and couldn't find it, but I'm sure someone can find it someplace. Everyone I showed it to laughed at it. I don't think I would be really happy to see an SD-40 coming up behind me when I'm stopped at a light.
I think it was taped in Sacramento, CA.
BDK

I know this isn't it but...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EqysQgwelDA

That was sort of interesting. Did the photographer never see a red flashing light before?
There is a DVD called Street Running.
--

Frank Rosenbaum
Please support the following train meets if you can

I understand what you mean. Watching some Drum & Bugle Corps shows, if there is some sort of siren or bell being played it's inevitable that the camera will be on one of them instead of the action...

I have seen it...
"Big Rich Soprano" wrote

That looks remarkably like what we would call a USA Class Tank of SR wartime fame. OK, the bunker has been cut down a bit but otherwise still the same basic design.
Elliott
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 06:39:20 GMT, "Elliott Cowton"

You are right. The bunkers were extended when the Southern Railway (UK) bought the locomotives after WII.
Regards
Tony Cane Secretary World War Two Railway Study Group
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

That wasn't bad, but no, it wasn't it.
Thanks anyway..
BDK

Interesting clip, and it shows just how difficult it is to shoot steady footage from horseback.

Think how you'd feel if you were riding a motorcycle!
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "lane-splitting"!
Pete
says...

An SD-40 on the street might shock some of the more clueless drivers into hanging up their phones, stop messing with their make up/drink/food and into paying attention.
BDK

Uh, to the best of my knowledge, bikers aren't prone to doing those things while riding.
Pete
says...

LOL.
I have seen bikers eat while riding..Really dumb, but it sure takes co- ordination.
BDK

This is California we're talking about right? Fat chance!
snipped-for-privacy@ursine.ca says...

It's the same all over. I have a friend that travels a lot and he says that the stories about Boston being the worst of the worst are true.
BDK

The South Shore Line between Chicago and South Bend, Indiana, originally an interurban streetcar line, had street running of full-sized electric multiple unit trains in South Bend prior to 1970; some street running of passenger and freight trains still occurs in Michigan City. Some time in the 1980s I saw a rush-hour commuter train from Chicago formed of diesel-hauled Metra gallery cars running on-street in Michigan City.
I have some photos of the South Shore Line taken in 1968 at http://martins.fotopic.net/c260064.html
--
Martin S.

snipped-for-privacy@my.place says...

I remember seeing some of that when I was a little kid. We went to dinner at a friend of my dad's once, and saw some electric MU cars go by at a crossing. It was maybe 63 or so.
One of my earliest memories of Chicago was seeing steam locos being taken to the scrapyards in long strings. Lots and lots of N&W locos passing by my window as the NYC train I was in neared Chicago. 1959 or 60 I guess. I sure wish I had a camcorder back then. I used to have a couple of blurry pics of it, taken with a crappy camera my grandmother had given me. They were taken, along with most of the stuff that could be easily carried out when someone broke into my place. They stole some really weird stuff, silverware, money from my wallet, the box of old pics, some LPs and cassettes, and my can opener.
BDK