Tight Street Running

When I was about ten or so I took a ride with my grandfather who was conductor on a Nickel Plate way freight north from Indianapolis. I think
it was in Noblesville where we stopped for lunch with the train (powered by a small diseasel road switcher, regrettably) parked in the middle of the street.
--
Steve

I'm surprised how much street running there is in the US. I think the most famous is probably the South Shore in Michigan City on its' run from Chicago to South Bend. Originally an Interurban (and still carrying passengers) but it also carries coal trains to and from the steel mills in the area. Put Michigan City into the youtube search and you'll find some examples.
I also came across street running in Fort Collins (between Denver and Cheyenne) a few years ago. The Metra Electric route to 93rd St doesn't quite run in the street (well, the bits I've seen) but it's a close run thing as it runs down the median on an unfenced residential road. For many years there was a railway track along the San Francisco Embarcadero (where the F line streetcars now run).
Wayne wrote:

I get "This video has been removed due to terms of use violation."
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

Got removed for violation of terms of service... WTF?