Bachmann 2005

Can somebody confirm that there is no such thing as Fairburn Prairie. I cut this from the Bachmann February page. "You'll see from a quick glimpse of the catalogues that we've introduced the 9F, Fairburn Prairie and the Class108 DMU to the range, as well as reintroduced the 57xx Pannier Tank but this time into the Blue Riband range".

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Yes, bad choice of words! A Prairie has a 2-6-2 wheel arrangement, whereas the Fairburn tank is a 2-6-4!

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

Just wanted to make sure such a thing had ever existed. Kevin

Reply to
kajr

wrote

There were Stanier, Fowler & Ivatt 'Prairie' tanks, but I don't think any were actually produced during Fairburn's time as CME of the LMS.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Prairie.

Although "Prairie" can be applied to any 2-6-2T, in practice it seems that the name is, in the main, applied only to GWR locos. "Small Prairies" and "Large Prairies" denote the two basic families (44XX,

45XX, 4575 on the one hand and 31XX, 41XX, 51XX, 61XX and 81XX on the other).

The Bachmann site doesn't refer to either the Ivatt tank or the V1 as a Prairie, and I think this reflects the normal custom.

I think "Pairie" can also properly be applied to a 2-6-2 tender loco, but I've certainly never heard of Gresley V2 being referred to as such!

Andy Kirkham Glasgow

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

The Whyte steam engine classification system assigns the name "Prairie" to _any_ 2-6-2, tank or tender. These are broad generic classifications, while the "Gresley V2" would be a specific example of the type.

For the full system, see:

Select "Standards and Charts" from the left hand menu, then "Whyte Engine Classification".

Reply to
Joe Ellis

"Andy Kirkham" wrote

That's certainly the case in the UK, but it doesn't negate the fact that LMS had 'Prairie' tanks, 'Moguls', 'Ten-wheelers' and 'Pacifics' to name but a few.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The term "Prairie" is of course a US term for a 2-6-2 tender locomotive. Some US loco terms came into wider usage, probably through US exporting. Many stayed right where they came from eg "Mc Arthur" for 2-8-2s. As the US had very few tank locomotives the US names generally refered only to tender locomotives. Outside of the GWR I've never heard "Prairie" applied to any tank locomotives.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

McArthur Class. The US, during the Second World War, tried to change the Mikado Class name to McArthur Class. This failed as the Railroad Workers in the USA, still refered to the Class as Mikado. Graeme Hearn

Reply to
Graeme Hearn

"Greg.P."

Most North Americans call a 2-8-2 a "Mikado", or "Mike" for short.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.