Bachmann Quality

Hi, I am just moving across to UK Outline in OO from Continental in N gauge. My first experience was a worry!. I called into my local model shop and purchased a Bachmann Class 45 diesel in BR Blue, model nr. 32-676.

The shop opened 5 of these before the sixth box produced a model fit for sale. All of the previous models appeared to have suffered from poor quality control in that windows had become loose or had fallen out, in two instances a plastic piece had fallen out. All parts were still in the box but the shop declined to refit these and sell the item. The shop persevered until they found a decent example. The guy told me that he had previously had a few others from Bachmann that had exhibited this problem.

Is this typical of Bachmann?. On a second note, the shop tested the model on a test track before selling it to me. If I purchase a loco from one of the online dealers, do they test the model prior to posting it or are they usually pretty good at accepting returns?

Cheers, Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Everything from 53a models is tested before dispatch. I have even had a couple of lima class 67 arrive in perfect working order due to the excellent care taken with my order by John. I can assure you will receive first class mail order service from 53a models.

Simon

Reply to
piemanlarger

Hi, Thx for that, I did visit 53A and will re-visit. I noticed the site relied onyou knowing what you wanted to purchase rather than providing an online catalogue of items. However this is no big deal as I can visit the Hornby and Bachmann sites etc and then order via email to 53A. The only problem then being there is no price list but 53A comes highly recommended so I am always happy to pay extra for quality and service.

Cheers, Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

In message , Mickey writes

I quite agree. Unlike certain other establishments it is nice to visit a shop where you are made welcome and can have an intelligent conversation.

I shall be there again soon to collect my K3

Thankyou John!

Reply to
John East

that if you get a dud any discount you may have saved is lost on return postage. While I still use mail order, I only use mainly local dealers (who may charge a few more pounds than the big operators) who test,check and pack the goods carefully prior to them being sent out. Therefore the risk of problems is significantly reduced. Steve

Reply to
titans

piemanlarger offered me a plate of cheese and whispered:

OK... I'm convinced. John can expect my order for a Jinty early next week! :-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

All I can say is that I now have 7 Bachmann locos and every one has been fine straight from the box. 5 of those were bought from my local shop and checked by them in front of me. The other 2 were bought mail-order and arrived OK too.

53A models is a shop first and a mail-order company second. All the checks which you would expect at your local shop would be carried out by John before they were (well) packaged up and dispatched. I say this as a recent and happy customer.

Adrian

Reply to
The Bradshaws

To be fair, I know someone who ordered one of the faulty A1s from Hattons and returned it on their advice. The cost of return postage that he incurred was credited off the cost of the next item he purchased. Even more impressive was the fact he was in Melbourne, Australia!

Reply to
Michael Walker

Yes, but what is totally unacceptable is that the product was not tested before dispatch! Should have gone to 53a!

Reply to
piemanlarger

"piemanlarger" wrote

Without wishing to disagree with your sentiment Simon (and for which I thank you) with the A1s it would have been incredibly difficult to pick this fault up by routine shop testing as the problem only arose after extensive use.

Ironically we never had a single A1 returned as faulty, although a number were returned following Bachmann's recall. I never bothered returned my own A1 and it ran successfully for a considerable period of time without ever developing a fault.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Didn't the A1 problem occur after a period of running once the motor heated up? Does the usual quick run up and down the test track a couple of times show this up?

Much as I respect John and his many impressed customers, he would have had to do a fair bit of testing to show up the fault in question and I'm not sure even he has the time to do an hour's running in of each model he sells!

As far as my experiences of Hattons are concerned, I haven't received a dud model yet. I'm not sure if they run them to check them, but I've yet to have to worry about it!

Reply to
Michael Walker

Yes, 1- 2 minutes in my a1 's case! Does not take long for it to fail on a short train of about 6 coaches! Out with the Hornby 8f to rescue it, horah!

Reply to
piemanlarger