Moving to UK - ship what tools ??

Hi
We are relocating to the UK from South Africa. (I am married to a UK citizen! and have always been employed so please don't hate me :) )
After getting the first shipping quote it seems best to sell most of the stuff and only bring my "best" stuff (obviously am not bringing mill,drill ,lathe etc) Maybe two Record vices and two decent bench grinders with different wheels plus measuring stuff and good taps etc ??
At least I can get rid of stuff I don't like
Am still getting quotes but the first one was stiff and with the sliding scale it hard to judge how much adding a machine to the lot affects the price. Sales guy was vague about adding or removing items, only saying the price will be adjusted at the end !
Any one gone through this recently ? Any comments/advice appreciated.
Tim

Tell us what your machines are ..and what condition they are in .. and you may find out that such and such machine is available here at the price of the shipping .
record vices are plentyful and cheap here ..so i would leave those behind for a start .
all the best.markj

I came back from NZ about 7 years ago. Too long for any prices to be worth quoting really, but it was a lot more expensive shipping stuff back than it had been shipping stuff out a few years earlier. eg I shipped my car to NZ for US$400 and it was most of half that to ship 200kg of 1.5m3 back in a consolidated container where it got pulverised. Don't stint on the shipping insurance!
That said the more you ship, the cheaper it gets. As Mark suggests, why not give a rough inventory of what you'd hope to get/replace when you get here and derive an estimate of what it might cost. There're plenty of machines about here at the moment with so many places going bust, but if you buy them through a dealer, they're not any cheaper now than a couple of years ago.
Richard

something else to consider .. there is a huge demand for empty containers here .. they may be worth up to 1000 and beyond
eg
http://business.shop.ebay.co.uk/Containers-Pre-Fab-Buildings-/148462/i.html?_nkw=containers&_catref=1&_dmd=2&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282
all the best.markj

When my parents moved back here about 15 years ago, they used a container (via a removals company) and packed it to the gills, as it cost the same full or empty.
Tim

I moved from Cape Town to UK in 2000. I took a 20 ft container which was big enough for all our household effects and, more importantly, all items in the workshop which included Myford S7 lathe, 16mm drill press, Centec universal milling machine and all hand tools. Workshop equipment costs three times as much in UK as in RSA so bring it all with you if you can. My removal costs in 2000 were R 40 000.
The resale value of household effects and workshop equipment in RSA is at "give-away" levels and will cost a fortune to replace in UK. Best of luck in your move.
Regards, |Ken
Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. Houses here are far larger than in the UK (for average people), and a lot of our furniture is large and would probably not suit a UK home thus filling a container is not an option.
The equipment in question : (with what I think I will get for them in SA)
1)The mill/drill (zx30 clone) with clamping kit,er32 chuck and 5 collets, boring head and vice will probably fetch 840 (I *don't* want to keep mill but accessories are good , however I don't know if I want to bound to R8)
2)Oxy propane kit - I can only foresee problems with getting oxy filled there ? will probably fetch 65
3)Drill - Rexon bench mount 16mm will probably fetch 100 (well used but has been resprayed and mounted on cabinet)
4) Rong Fu 7x12 band saw will probably fetch 230 (good working condition)
5)120 L compressor will probably fetch 230 (good working condition)
6)Ryobi 8 inch bench grinder will probably fetch 40 (excellent condition)
7)AEG bench grinder with wire brushes will probably fetch 10 (old but very solid)
8)Ryobi belt and disc sander will probably fetch 50 (excellent working condition)
9)Fret/scroll saw single speed will probably fetch 15 (fair condition)
I will bring my files,hand tools etc.
Ken I find the prices of new stuff in the UK a lot cheaper than here (for the home workshop) and the variety much greater but I guess the resale value here is still pretty low. Much tooling was brought to SA by my in laws when on holiday. If I don't get remotely near the values I stated I could store them here till I settle there (storage is about 20 times cheaper here).
Please comment!
thanks Tim
I decided to go for broke and sell all and retool on the other side.
Surprisingly got 310 each for the band saw and the compressor now just the lathe and mill/drill.
thanks Tim
I actually feel sick about the amount of "stuff" I accumulated - I had duplicates and all sorts of unneeded stuff - I will not fall into that trap again! I will also never buy a round column belt driven mill/ drill again !!
Well every thing but the lathe has gone - left it till last so I can do some stuff - didnt realize how much I would miss my mill/drill (even if it was way too big for the stuff I do). It feels strange not being able to make things ! Also forgot how much I hated cutting 6061 with a hacksaw!
Tim

what part of the uk are you moving too tim
all the best.markjj

Use a wood saw ;-)
Mark Rand RTFM

To Tunbridge wells area in Kent.

Sold it already : )
Tim

There are a few respondents of this esteemed group over here in the Far East if you need some local support.
Rgds Richard
Have a look on eBay.co.uk to see what's available and how the prices compare. Google for auction sites as well for a good clue on availability. I would try to bring anything that's difficult to replace or has sentimental value.
John
Thanks for the suggestions .
Its come time to take the metal to the scrap yards and I find that it is hard to part with some of the specially selected pieces ferreted out of the scrap yard or dumpster !!
Strange game this !
Tim