Bachmann trainsets general question?

Is there any particular reason why there is no buffer stop included for the short siding included in many trainsets? It seems very mean to me and makes the set look incomplete.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

More to the point (no pun intended) what purpose do those short sidings have? I remember some years back Hornby including one in their IC125 train set - it was barely long enough to store a solitary power car.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So kids can run the train through points set the wrong way, just to see what happens.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

A couple of the Hornby freight sets at least come with a buffer stop, Bachmann don't even supply that. I'm thinking it would add pennies to the overall cost and there's already an empty space in the styrene packaging where it could fit.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

So you go out and buy one for 50p. Is this a major issue?

Reply to
MartinS

I think they are hoping these sets are just 'starter sets' and the open ended short siding will lead to the next part of your layout.

At least you get a 3 pin plug on the end of the power cable these days.

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Not in North America. Very few electrical items are grounded/earthed.

Reply to
MartinS

We have polarised plugs, since one of the two hot wires is "earth". So a two prong plug should be enough, but even so, almost everything comes with a three prong plug.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Usually only heavy duty equipment. AV equipment, lamps and things like hobby transformers have 2-prong plugs. Computers have a 3-prong plug.

110/220V appliances such as stoves and dryers have a 4-prong plug.

The black wire/small prong is "hot". The white wire (wide prong) is neutral; I believe it is bonded to ground at the entry panel.

Reply to
MartinS

"kim" wrote

That's not true Kim - there's at least one set in the Bachmann range which includes them, can't remember off the top of my head which it is though.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Quote from

a site that explains it all (with references to further sources):

According to the terminology in the CEC and NEC, the "grounding" conductor is for the safety ground, i.e., the green or bare or green with a yellow stripe wire. The word "neutral" is reserved for the white when you have a circuit with more than one "hot" wire. Since the white wire is connected to neutral and the grounding conductor inside the panel, the proper term is "grounded conductor". However, the potential confusion between "grounded conductor" and "grounding conductor" can lead to potentially lethal mistakes - you should never use the bare wire as a "grounded conductor" or white wire as the "grounding conductor", even though they are connected together in the panel.

[But not in subpanels - subpanels are fed neutral and ground Usually.]

The above implies that all circuits are grounded, even without the 3rd (ground) prong.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

SHOCKING """"""

Reply to
Dragon Heart

My first Hammant and Morgan had two 2 pin plugs attached by my normally sane father. The house at that time only had lighting circuits and a couple of a 2 pin outlets for standard lamps . My father installed a separate 2 pin socket which was purely an earth it being connected to a water pipe. Connecting the power unit one plug which was wired to live and neutral was put in the lighting socket ,the other was connected to the earth and was plugged into the earth socket.

The only difference between the plugs he attached was a red painted M for mains on one ,and a painted E for earth on the other. Only he was allowed to connect up. Fortunately we moved house to a place with proper 3 pin sockets before I became old enough to to get the train set out on my own.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Who is to say this is grounded. Many items have a dummy earth pin as otherwise you would not be able to put the plug in the socket as it the earth pin that moves the protected covers from the live and neutral sockets

Reply to
Trev

Thanks for clarifying that - I think!

Reply to