Big Urge - Garratt!

I' an ex-scratchbuilder, not hte greatest but it was a long time ago.

Marriage, kids, divorce, Russian girlfriend and now I'm back!

I have this mad urge to build a model of the one and only Russian Garratt, in a totally stupid emormous scale, like to make it 10 foot long or something daft.

Non-working, totally static, and in photographic paint like the one and only photo I have....

But where can I find scale drawiings? Anyone help?

Gonna make it out of bits around the house.farm - live in rural community.

Ta!

Ste

Reply to
Ste

Ste,

Contact the Museum of Science in Manchester. They have an archive of most of the General Arrangement drawings from Beyer-Peacock and can supply them as large prints or on CD. The plan on CD costs about £20 and the prints are a good bit more expensive - £30 or more. The email contact address is snipped-for-privacy@msim.org.uk and they do reply quite promptly to enquiries by email.

I got a CD copy of a plan of a Garratt and the quality was good, with good definition and quite good clarity of the lettering of dimensions, etc. The image was a 8779 x 4119 JPG file.

I think it helps if you can quote as many details as possible to make sure you get the correct drawing - like the B-G works number, or the date of building, etc.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Thanks mate - emailed just now!

What drawings do you get? Just the elevations or more detailed sub assembly projections too?

Guess I'll find out but they could fit a lot on a CD!

Cheers

Steve

Reply to
Ste

Ste,

The drawing I got was of the Western Australia Garratt of 1912. this was the first 'main line' Garratt (albeit 3' 6" gauge), the earlier prototypes being narrow gauge versions for Tasmania.

The drawing had side and top elevations with various sections to show 'hidden' detail. An end elevation or cross sections would have been handy but you can deduce a fair amount from the other two elevations, and can get the rest from photographs. I did only ask for a GA of the loco, so there could have been further drawings - at £20 a pop, I had to draw the line somewhere :-).

I have been fortunate in getting some excellent pictures of a similar prototype from a modeller in Australia, and I might be able to get some pictures of the actual loco which still exists, but is not accessible at the moment.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

They came back to me, they said they have six drawings, becuase the engine is so big they split it over six drawings, so the full loco would be 120 quid - a bit steep!

Steve

Reply to
Ste

Ouch!! Can't you get a batch discount? :-) I must admit that I thought they might have had a sort of sliding scale for requests for multiple drawings where the setting up to do the work could be apportioned across the number of copies and the cost per drawing reduced. Do they have one GA drawing on one sheet? If they have, that might well be of sufficient detail to allow you to model quite accurately.

Maybe someone else knows if there is an alternative source of B-G drawings which might not be as costly.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

I might just build it from the one photograph I have! I was a total rivet counter in my modelling days, totally sad! In the end the impossibilty of 100% accuracy drove into the world of football, beer and women!

Now I'm more arty than technical, for feel than slide rule. It's just for fun anyway, then I'm off back to Russia to find the orginal, prolly scrapped but who knows, I saw live steam in Russia when I thought they'd abandoned it. And there was a huge streamlined 4-8-4 on a plinth in Cheliabinsk station - very impressive!

Cheers!

Steve

Reply to
Ste

Steve wrote:-

Why not model Strelnikov's Train from Dr Zhivago?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I was under the impression that the railway scenes were filmed in Spain and Finland. The Finnish loco was a Russian-built Su 2-6-2 IIRC, but I'm fairly sure that the armoured train was built for the production in Spain.

Reply to
Mark Newton

There might have been something in the technical press at the time it was built. Railway Gazette, Railway Magazine or similar might have had an article with some plans.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Or the tram!

Reply to
MartinS

The WAGR M and Ms class double Mogul Garratts were all built by Beyer Peacock before the First World War. In 1930 the WAGR Midland works built the similar Msa class. Perhaps it might be possible to get drawings etc. from Western Australia. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

This link may be of help to you:

No drawings but lots of pics.