Bipolar stepper motor controller on Ebay

Hi all,
If you ever need to use stepper motor controllers on your models, you might be interested in the following item;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item865511834&ssPag eName=STRK:MESE:IT
Highly versatile controller with programmable and interface modes, able to drive steppers from 7V to 30V with adjustable max motor current and selectable step size.
Ebay: there's a bargain waiting for you!
Hope it's not off topic,
Pete
<snip>

It is, but it never stops the eBay idiots spamming Usenet with their adverts.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item865511834&ssPag eName=STRK:MESE:IT
Sorry if the above was off-topic, although I did read up and it said that generally anything that you might find interesting yourself is likely to be on topic. When I have made a model in the past, I would have traded my eye-teeth for something which does precisely what the above controller does.
Please be assured of my best intentions.
Peter

I think you're going rather OTT with this, :::Jerry::: What grounds would either eBay or his ISP have for closing his account? The people who set up this group and wrote the FAQ have already said they have no problem with it, but you come barging into the group laying down the law. Ease up, for Pete's sake.
--
Martin S.

"Occasional commercial posts are not prohibited" I believe it reads. This particular chap only tends to post once a month or so it strikes me that there's no charter infringement.
--

All the best,

Chris Wilson
I understand both sides of the argument, though I lean heavily toward seeing what's available and making my mind up whether its relevant or useful to me - as far as I can tell , this item is used for a range of applications, one of which is scale model turntable control. This made it interesting and relevant to me at least
Steve

seeing
So browser over to www.ebay.co.uk/ ...
as far as I can tell , this item is used for a range of applications,

and
How would a stepper motor be of use with a turntable, a tank turret may be...
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
message

toward
useful to

applications,
interesting
may
Err, to make it turn? Google will show you.
MBQ
<snip>

Were, in the charter does it say that commercial advertising is allowed for off topic goods or that blatant off topic advertising is allowed. As for eBay cancelling accounts, I suggest you read their T&C regarding newsgroup abuse...
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

grounds
people
no
the
allowed for

for
newsgroup
But it's not abuse. Why is a stepper motor off topic for a model railway group? Have a look and you'll find applications for one including turntables and traversers.
MBQ

abuse
closed.
Maybe you are not too sure how Usenet works. Let me explain it to you a little. When a newsgroup is set up a charter is created that states what can and can not be posted in it. There is no such thing as a general rule that applies to every single group such as your assumption that only adverts can be posted to groups with the word advert in.
This relevant excerpt from this groups charter states:
"Advertising Adverts should be clearly marked in the subject line (the words "AD", "For Sale", "Exhibition" or "Commercial" at the start of the subject line are recommended).
Short (less than 20 line) commercial announcements relevant to UK rail model making are permitted (either manufacturers or traders), though extensive advertising lists are not permitted (these should be available by mail, ftp or http to interested readers).
Commercial advertisers should not post adverts more frequently than once per month."
You keep referring to eBay's Usenet policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/newtoebay/usenet-policy.html ) which states:
"eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported to eBay, we may among other remedies remove the listing, issue a warning, or suspend the user's eBay account.
Please note that eBay can only take action in cases where it's clear it was an eBay member who posted to the Usenet group inappropriately.
Usenet abuse should also be reported to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and the email provider of the person who posted."
Just read what that says. Not what you want it to say or what you think it should say. "eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy". Note, it does not say that an ad can *not* be posted to a relevant group where the group's charter allows it.
Go ahead and try reporting this guy for posting an advert to a newsgroup that allows adverts. I'm sure they will get a good laugh out of it.
Gandalph.
--
Replace the fake email address with the correct one if you want to reply
privately.

<snip>
Piss off and take you eBay spam with you.

Wow, What razor sharp intellect you have. Did you have to go to university to acquire it? Still it is fairly much what I expect from someone who has lost an argument and can't manage to put a coherent rebuttal together.
Gandalph.
--
Replace the fake email address with the correct one if you want to reply
privately.
"Gandalph" wrote

I'm afraid it was comments like that which consigned Jerry to my killfile for over a year, and only recently has he been let out on licence. Shame if he has to be recalled because he does make some useful contributions on here from time-to-time.
Whilst I have some sympathy with his view that eBayers are a fuffing nuisance, I have to say they probably take advantage of this (and other groups) with some legitimacy.
John.

<snip>
There is no 'legitimacy' but there is a lot of advantage being taken, and eBay won't do anything about it because it's free advertising (as if they need it...) which they can claim to have no control over.
":::Jerry::::" wrote

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that Jerry. I've not the slightest desire to go into the nitty gritty of eBay etiquette and just as little desire to ponder over the niceties of posting on this group.
Having said that I think it would be nice if those who choose to 'advertise' on here would at least make some other contribution to the group. After all it would be pointless to post here if the group was not active, so in that respect I think they are being just a little parasitic.
John.

I have not lost the argument, it's just eBay idiots like you who can't accept that you are spamming the eBay company across Usenet. If you want to advertise your own private goods for sale then there is no objection to you either listing the items here with contact information (together with what you want for them) or posting a private URL.
You would not want your 'in box' full of " Look at this for sale - www.e*ay.co.uk./8576564399/8378iy563576/wuy3yuyu/843683 " type messages, why do you think it's acceptable to force others to down load such messages when if they were minutely interested they would be using their web browser to visit the site any way?...

university
has
you
First of all let me make clear that I have never used eBay in my entire life. I have not bought anything there, I have not sold anything there and I have never advertised any item listed there. I very seldom even look at any advert that is posted and I don't have any intension of doing so. I intensely dislike spammers and would personally make spamming a criminal offence punishable by death. If adverts are posted to groups with the word nospam in the title or such a description in the charter then I would very much agree with your stance. However *THIS* group's charter states that adverts are allowed, be they private or commercial and there is no specific clause that states eBay adverts are not permitted. So in this instance you don't really have any basis for complaint.

load
If I were downloading messages in a group that allowed adverts I would expect to see adverts and accept them. If I were downloading messages from a group that prohibited adverts I would not expect to see them and would be justifiably annoyed if I did.
Gandalph.
--
Replace the fake email address with the correct one if you want to reply
privately.

<snip>
But there is no provision for the advertising of the services of eBay in the charter and as such people who advertise those services are spamming.

down
using
from
be
the
As I said in a previous posting, *READ* the charter so you know what it actually says, not what you think it should say. I quote:
"Advertising Adverts should be clearly marked in the subject line (the words "AD", "For Sale", "Exhibition" or "Commercial" at the start of the subject line are recommended).
Short (less than 20 line) commercial announcements relevant to UK rail model making are permitted (either manufacturers or traders), though extensive advertising lists are not permitted (these should be available by mail, ftp or http to interested readers).
Commercial advertisers should not post adverts more frequently than once per month."
Now after reading that, please point out to me the part where it says adverts for products on auction via eBay as long as they are relevant to UK rail model making, are specifically prohibited.
Gandalph.