Bipolar stepper motor controller on Ebay

Hi all,

If you ever need to use stepper motor controllers on your models, you might be interested in the following item;

Highly versatile controller with programmable and interface modes, able to drive steppers from 7V to 30V with adjustable max motor current and selectable step size.

Ebay: there's a bargain waiting for you!

Hope it's not off topic,

Pete

Reply to
DesignElect

It is, but it never stops the eBay idiots spamming Usenet with their adverts.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"DesignElect" wrote

If you knew anything about the group you were spamming then you'd know whether it was off-topic or not.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Sorry if the above was off-topic, although I did read up and it said that generally anything that you might find interesting yourself is likely to be on topic. When I have made a model in the past, I would have traded my eye-teeth for something which does precisely what the above controller does.

Please be assured of my best intentions.

Peter

Reply to
DesignElect

I think you're going rather OTT with this, :::Jerry::: What grounds would either eBay or his ISP have for closing his account? The people who set up this group and wrote the FAQ have already said they have no problem with it, but you come barging into the group laying down the law. Ease up, for Pete's sake.

Reply to
MartinS

"Occasional commercial posts are not prohibited" I believe it reads. This particular chap only tends to post once a month or so it strikes me that there's no charter infringement.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

I understand both sides of the argument, though I lean heavily toward seeing what's available and making my mind up whether its relevant or useful to me - as far as I can tell , this item is used for a range of applications, one of which is scale model turntable control. This made it interesting and relevant to me at least

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Were, in the charter does it say that commercial advertising is allowed for off topic goods or that blatant off topic advertising is allowed. As for eBay cancelling accounts, I suggest you read their T&C regarding newsgroup abuse...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

So browser over to

as far as I can tell , this item is used for a range of applications,

How would a stepper motor be of use with a turntable, a tank turret may be...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Maybe you are not too sure how Usenet works. Let me explain it to you a little. When a newsgroup is set up a charter is created that states what can and can not be posted in it. There is no such thing as a general rule that applies to every single group such as your assumption that only adverts can be posted to groups with the word advert in.

This relevant excerpt from this groups charter states:

"Advertising Adverts should be clearly marked in the subject line (the words "AD", "For Sale", "Exhibition" or "Commercial" at the start of the subject line are recommended).

Short (less than 20 line) commercial announcements relevant to UK rail model making are permitted (either manufacturers or traders), though extensive advertising lists are not permitted (these should be available by mail, ftp or http to interested readers).

Commercial advertisers should not post adverts more frequently than once per month."

You keep referring to eBay's Usenet policy

which states:

"eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported to eBay, we may among other remedies remove the listing, issue a warning, or suspend the user's eBay account.

Please note that eBay can only take action in cases where it's clear it was an eBay member who posted to the Usenet group inappropriately.

Usenet abuse should also be reported to your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and the email provider of the person who posted."

Just read what that says. Not what you want it to say or what you think it should say. "eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy". Note, it does not say that an ad can *not* be posted to a relevant group where the group's charter allows it.

Go ahead and try reporting this guy for posting an advert to a newsgroup that allows adverts. I'm sure they will get a good laugh out of it.

Gandalph.

Reply to
Gandalph

Piss off and take you eBay spam with you.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Wow, What razor sharp intellect you have. Did you have to go to university to acquire it? Still it is fairly much what I expect from someone who has lost an argument and can't manage to put a coherent rebuttal together.

Gandalph.

Reply to
Gandalph

"Gandalph" wrote

I'm afraid it was comments like that which consigned Jerry to my killfile for over a year, and only recently has he been let out on licence. Shame if he has to be recalled because he does make some useful contributions on here from time-to-time.

Whilst I have some sympathy with his view that eBayers are a fuffing nuisance, I have to say they probably take advantage of this (and other groups) with some legitimacy.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I have not lost the argument, it's just eBay idiots like you who can't accept that you are spamming the eBay company across Usenet. If you want to advertise your own private goods for sale then there is no objection to you either listing the items here with contact information (together with what you want for them) or posting a private URL.

You would not want your 'in box' full of " Look at this for sale - www.e*ay.co.uk./8576564399/8378iy563576/wuy3yuyu/843683 " type messages, why do you think it's acceptable to force others to down load such messages when if they were minutely interested they would be using their web browser to visit the site any way?...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

There is no 'legitimacy' but there is a lot of advantage being taken, and eBay won't do anything about it because it's free advertising (as if they need it...) which they can claim to have no control over.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that Jerry. I've not the slightest desire to go into the nitty gritty of eBay etiquette and just as little desire to ponder over the niceties of posting on this group.

Having said that I think it would be nice if those who choose to 'advertise' on here would at least make some other contribution to the group. After all it would be pointless to post here if the group was not active, so in that respect I think they are being just a little parasitic.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

First of all let me make clear that I have never used eBay in my entire life. I have not bought anything there, I have not sold anything there and I have never advertised any item listed there. I very seldom even look at any advert that is posted and I don't have any intension of doing so. I intensely dislike spammers and would personally make spamming a criminal offence punishable by death. If adverts are posted to groups with the word nospam in the title or such a description in the charter then I would very much agree with your stance. However *THIS* group's charter states that adverts are allowed, be they private or commercial and there is no specific clause that states eBay adverts are not permitted. So in this instance you don't really have any basis for complaint.

If I were downloading messages in a group that allowed adverts I would expect to see adverts and accept them. If I were downloading messages from a group that prohibited adverts I would not expect to see them and would be justifiably annoyed if I did.

Gandalph.

Reply to
Gandalph

But there is no provision for the advertising of the services of eBay in the charter and as such people who advertise those services are spamming.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Gandalph" wrote

Can't be doing with wooley minded liberals! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

As I said in a previous posting, *READ* the charter so you know what it actually says, not what you think it should say. I quote:

"Advertising Adverts should be clearly marked in the subject line (the words "AD", "For Sale", "Exhibition" or "Commercial" at the start of the subject line are recommended).

Short (less than 20 line) commercial announcements relevant to UK rail model making are permitted (either manufacturers or traders), though extensive advertising lists are not permitted (these should be available by mail, ftp or http to interested readers).

Commercial advertisers should not post adverts more frequently than once per month."

Now after reading that, please point out to me the part where it says adverts for products on auction via eBay as long as they are relevant to UK rail model making, are specifically prohibited.

Gandalph.

Reply to
Gandalph