"Bring me sunshine ...... "

They must have a bit more sun in Florida than we do here :-)

" The layout was designed so even if there is no sun over a long period of time, there would still be plenty of reserve power stored in the batteries to operate the train system for several weeks. " OK for our Summer then ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

In message , Dragon Heart writes

Why do they need an inverter? Don't the models run on 12 volts DC?

My DCC system will run on pure DC.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Thanks for that subject line (never mind the content!), it instantly made me think of Morecambe and wise, and then start humming their sig tune - a bit of sunshine in the gloom of the last couple of weeks...

Reply to
Jerry

*If* it's DCC it needs 16(?)v AC doesn't it?

I'm guessing that there is no commercially available controller than can accept 12vDC from the battery even though the output (for a DC layout) would be 12vDC as well. Mind you, I'm assuming HO - those pictures look more O like. The inverter is changing 12vDC to 110vAC which is the US standard so they can use a standard controller at a guess.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

"Gloom"?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

No. Some system may be able to run from low voltage AC from a transformer but they will all run from an equivalent[1] DC source.

MBQ

[1] Taking account of RMS/peak voltage and allowing for the drop in the rectifier diodes.
Reply to
manatbandq

In message , Graham Harrison writes

The blurb on the original says that it is G scale so it probably needs something greater than 12v to operate.

Reply to
Mike Hughes

Should have also added that if running a system, designed to take AC, from DC you may need to derate the booster ratings. All of the input current will be flowing through only half of the rectifier, instead of using both halves on opposite half cycles, so the power dissipation will be doubled in two of the diodes. They may be spec'ed by the maufacturer to allow for this, or not.

MBQ

Reply to
google

Remember what Eric said when inspecting a modular layout

"You can't see the join".

MBQ

Reply to
google

Angela Rippon had lovely legs!!

Reply to
MartinS

Strange, so much for Thatcherism, that routine is as relevant today as when it was first made!

Reply to
Jerry

We visited Morecambe last year and his nibs had his photo taken with the statue of the great man.

I remember when the Queen unveiled the statue the July 1999 and the smile that came to her face when the sheet fell away. Everyone who I looked at had the same smile.

Can't believe it was 1984 when he passed away.

I understand there is a nice model shop 'The Train Shop Ltd' only a stones throw away from the statue ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Maybe the only two worthwhile things in Morecambe.

Reply to
MartinS

Is the Morecombe, Heysham and Lancaster line no longer in operation?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

The electrified line went years ago (mid-1960s?), having served as a test bed for 25kV electrification in the UK. There is a non-electrified branch to Morecambe, diverging at Hest Bank, with a trailing connection at Morecambe leading to Heysham. Is there still a passenger service to the latter? Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Ah, *proper* AC with mercury arc rectifier, none yer "solid state" rubbish. I'm silly enough to want to make a model of it, complete with blue LED to represent the erie glow from the mercury arc.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Here's another, the No 40 bus::